Anastasia Lucendent Adela

I jump down silently from my balcony, thanking skies I was only two floors up. If my room was on the new levels like my parents had wanted I would have given up the escape. Jumping six levels is a good way to get killed.

Excited by my suddenly burst of rebellion, I pull my hood up close to my forehead and allow myself to blend easily into the shadows of the night.

I tip toe over to the stables and search the barn until I find Papa Bear, the large brown clydesdale I have loved since childhood. He neighed and pawed the sky when he saw me, frightened by my sudden appearance from the darkness.

  I hold up my hands and take down my hood, reveling my face that was flushed in excitement and wild curls he was accustomed with. "Calm down Papa Bear," I whisper softy. "It's just me."

As if he understood my words, Papa Bear neighs and shakes his head. I apologize softly for scaring him then drag the heavy saddle from its hook and put it onto him with a thud. Swiftly, I jump on with practiced grace and tap his side lightly with the heel of my boot.

With the tiny notification Papa Bear takes off into the night. We race down from the hill that the castle rest upon, the path swerves and the wind blows my curls behind me like one long sheet of dark brown silk. Up in the sky, a crescent moon smiles down at me, and I take it as a good omen.

When I can see the light of the cottages and shops I slow Bear down to a trot.

Even at the late hour the houses all had a soft glow around them that gave me a warm comforting feeling. The little cottages hummed with the homey feel of happy families turning in for the night.

I stop Papa Bear and pat his strong neck in a silent compliment for his swift ride then jump off the saddle and tie him to a wooden pole that marked the entrance of the village.

"Thanks Bear," I whisper to him with a smile. He snorts in response and I begin my silent descent down the stone path that lead to the town. The village was calm and peaceful and even though the houses were small they carried a loving feeling with them as if each family would gladly share their food and a warm bed for any travelers.

Most of the village was dark, resting before the beginning of the contest tomorrow.

I walk in a mesmerized trance and take in every detail of the village until I came to a dead end. The small houses curved in a circle around a wishing well. I take this chance to sit, and follow the pathway to the well.

The stone of the wishing well was cold and hard, and when I lean over the side I could see the glittering of silver and gold coins at the bottom. My hand knocked a pebble over the edge and I watched as it turned the perfectly smooth water surface into a million different ripples.

The sound echoed and for a moment I was tempted to say something into it so I could hear my voice echo back to me but I decided to keep the quiet air of the city and not disturb anyone.

Sitting back upright, I glance towards the small round cottages around me. They were made of a warm tanned stone that was smooth and curved easily with the structure. The pointed roofs looked wooden yet sturdy and safe. It reminded me much a tiny little tea pot.

  Satisfied with my rest, I stand to journey back down the path, determined to see more of the village before leaving.

As I turn the corner I spot a small street shop I have not seen yet. It was small, with a rickety wooden counter and a hay roof. Two large men walked around the store cleaning things up from a long days work.