17 | One Dance

"I feel so encaptured,

You got me wrapped up in your touch.

I feel so enamoured,

Hold me tight within your touch.

And how did you do it?

You got me losing all my breath.

How did you give me,

To have my heart beat out my chest?"

MY BREATH CAUGHT in my throat as I stared at the grand building that loomed before us, growing bigger and bigger as the car drove closer to it. Many expensive cars were parked in front of the hotel already and I saw many girls and women in evening dresses similar to mine walking into the hotel, most of them accompanied by smartly dressed men.

"Don't swear, laugh too loudly, or smile too widely. Greet people when they greet you, and under no circumstances do you talk to anyone unless I am with you. They might just be fishing for gossip and I can't afford to have you accidentally tell anyone about our deal," Robin warned, his eyes never straying from the road. I rolled my eyes and nodded. He was so serious. No wonder even his parents are bugging him to get a girlfriend!

"Yes, Sir! Understood, Sir!" I mocked under my breath, pursing my lips as we came to a stop in front of the building. I sighed sadly at the thought of having to get out of Robin's beautiful car.

"Remember what I told you. My parents are surely going to speak to you, so try not to embarrass me or yourself. My parents will not be easily fooled, so make it believable and don't frown or glare at me like you usually do," Robin said.

"What about you? You're scowling right now," I said, scrunching my eyebrows together.

"I am always scowling. If I wasn't, my parents will know something is up," he snorted and rolled his eyes before opening his car door and handing his car keys to the valet. Immediately, people around him stopped and stared. Everyone knew who the infamous Robin Clair was. After all, his parents were the one hosting the very ball they were going to attend.

I took a deep breath and ran my hands down my dress in attempt to calm my nerves. I was by no means an actress, but the paycheck was way too good to pass up. Robin sauntered over to the passenger side and opened the door for me, holding out his hand. Gulping, I laced my fingers through his and tried to ignore my beating heart. We'll be fine. No one will know that I'm practically a fraud, I reminded myself.

When my head popped out of the car, I heard people start to whisper.

Who is she?

She must be his girlfriend.

She looks gorgeous! Look at that dress!

He can do much better.

I stepped out of the car carefully and walked as gracefully as I could to the entrance with him. He offered me a reassuring nod and I wrapped my hand around his arm. The whispering got louder.

"Ignore them. Their stares are meaningless," Robin mumbled under his breath. It sounded strangely similar to what Yuko had said. As the two of us walked into the large ballroom, heads turned.

"Don't let anyone here make you feel less than what you are. They tend to do that a lot, especially the women," Robin reminded, his breath tickling my neck and sending unwanted shivers down my spine. I simply nodded and gave him a small smile.