A Demon in Kakariko

Chapter 44
A Demon in Kakariko

Nabooru led the way back through the Spirit Temple, with Link and Sheik almost running to keep up. The trek back to the entrance was uneventful, for they encountered no traps, monsters, or magical apparitions of any kind. Nabooru frowned when she saw the tiny markers Sheik had carved into the walls but said nothing.

"Did you bring horses, or did you use the portal to get here?" Nabooru asked as they entered yet another lavishly decorated corridor with tiles featuring flowers and leaf motifs. The side rooms appeared to be designed for pilgrims. There was a dining hall, a library brimming with scrolls, and dormitories. Link only got a fleeting glance at them, for Nabooru did not pause.

"We brought horses," Sheik answered.

"Just as well," Nabooru said. "I do hope Aveil was more accommodating when you met her."

"Actually, she threw us in a cell," Navi said.

Nabooru pursed her lips, unable to conceal a faint scowl. "Well, I'm sure that won't happen again." She slowed down, glancing sideways at Link, her expression curious. "Just how did you escape?"

"We used a portal stone," Sheik explained. Much to Link's relief, she didn't elaborate on his disguise.

"Ah, I should have guessed," Nabooru replied. "You're lucky it wasn't on my watch. If I'd wanted to keep you prisoner, you'd still be there."

"We had help," Link admitted. "Some of the Gerudo were freed from the curse. Aveil was one of them."

"I know," Nabooru said.

"How?"Link asked, unable to hide his confusion.

"The witches, or rather their phantoms, wanted me to help exterminate the rebel Gerudo." Nabooru grimaced, her expression growing hard. "I swear that man is going to pay once we get out of here."

She sounded as though she wanted to storm Ganondorf's tower and confront him herself. Link didn't entertain the thought. He knew how that would end. Nabooru probably knew well, but she didn't admit it. Without both himself and the full power of the Sages, Ganondorf was still out of their reach, and there was still one last Sage left to find. The Sage of Shadow.

Since Shadow was most commonly associated with the Sheikah, Link guessed that the final Sage would be a Sheikah. That left two people who could be the final Sage: Impa or Halvard, unless it turned out they were someone from a remote Sheikan settlement outside Hyrule's borders, which didn't seem likely. Link would have been surprised if Rauru appointed the Mask Man to be the next Sage of Shadow. All of the Sages, except Rauru, were revered leaders of their people, and Halvard seemed content to remain a creepy merchant turned spy with an unhealthy appetite for clandestine arts.

Link knew that Impa had been a leader amongst her people, and he guessed that she became their leader after she assassinated the former Gerudo king. That puzzled Link; by failing to kill Ganondorf, Impa had disobeyed her superiors. If the Sheikah knew the Gerudo prince's fate, he doubted Impa's failure would have gone unpunished. What had happened to Impa after that night, and why did she try assassinating Ganondorf, only to spare him at the last moment? It was a decision that had sealed Link's fate, sending Hyrule towards a path of destruction. Perhaps something else had motivated the Sheikah to assassinate the Gerudo king, and the prophecy was used to justify the murder... Had that been what made Impa pause and question the High Seer's judgement? What else could have motivated the Sheikah to kill the Gerudo king? Link shook his head, unable to sort out his thoughts as fatigue settled on him like a lead weight.

"You all right, kid?"

Link was almost startled when Nabooru spoke. She had paused, leaving Link to nearly run straight into her.