There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (31)

"So where did you guys go after you left the park?" AJ asked teasingly in our last period as she sipped the soda from her can. I let out a frustrated sigh, not wanting to talk about it. "Did you guys go on a date?"

"No, we didn't," I answered snappily, but it was the truth. I was quickly able to get away from Hunter after we had left the park, and I had no idea where he had went after that. But really, I didn't care very much. As long as he was away from my friends, I didn't really care where he was.

"A date, Emery?" a familiar voice now said, riding up to where we were sitting on one of the dirt bikes. "Who would go out with you?"

It was kind of strange having him call me by my last name again. He had been calling me Jordan and hadn't even said my last name since the time we had confessed to each other. But he had to keep up the enemy act in front of other people...

"It doesn't really concern you," AJ scowled, crossing her arms over her chest. "I highly doubt that you even know Jordan's boyfriend anyway. None of us but Jordan know him."

Oh, Jesse knew him. And Alex did as well. I just hoped that Jesse didn't get the wrong idea...

"He's not my boyfriend," I groaned, covering my face with my hands. Why did they have to press on and on until I was pulling my hair out? They didn't even bother me this much when it came to Dallas... "He's just a... friend."

What else was I supposed to call Hunter? He was a psychopathic killer that had murdered my grandmother. But it wasn't like I could say that...

"That's why you totally ditched us yesterday at the park for him," AJ smirked, and I really wanted to just tear my hair right out of my head. She was going to make Jesse think things! Things that he definitely shouldn't have been thinking...

Jesse was definitely interested now. I wouldn't say that he was angry, but more confused. He didn't think I was seeing some other guy, did he? Oh, I could only hope not...

I thought he'd ride off, but Jesse only smirked. Letting out a laugh, he said, "Anyone who'd go out with you has got to be crazy."

I knew he didn't mean that, because then he would have just been calling himself crazy. I had to keep up with the enemy act, so I bit my tongue before shooting back, "And anyone who would ever go out with you have to be completely out of their mind."

I wanted to laugh; I just found it too funny. We were purposely insulting each other while insulting ourselves at the same time. And AJ didn't even suspect a thing.

I could get used to this.

"Well, as much fun as it would be to make fun of you for the rest of the class, I don't feel like failing the class by doing absolutely nothing," Jesse finally said, straightening the bike back up and taking off before AJ or I could say anything else to him.

"This class bites," AJ grumbled, taking another sip of her soda before slamming it down on the bench we were sitting on. "We don't even do anything and Mr. Craven doesn't even care. I'm still getting an A in this class and I haven't even gotten on a bike since we've started."

I shrugged, kind of preoccupied with watching Jesse ride around and around the dirt like I was in some type of trance. I didn't really mind very much, since I could watch Jesse all day and be perfectly fine with it. But I couldn't in front of my friends...

"Jordan?" AJ said for the fourth time, now waving her hand in front of my face. "Jordan? What they heck are you staring at?"

"N--nothing," I stuttered nervously, shaking my head quickly as I turned back toward her. "I just zoned out, that's all. Nothing important..."