15. The Eye Opener

"Where are you taking me?" I asked with a horrified expression as we pulled into the parking lot of the mall. "Silver, are you kidnapping me? Oh dear god, help!-" I began banging dramatically on the window as she pulled into a space.
"Oh shut up, we need to get outfits for New Year" she explained, as though I were an idiot for not knowing that.
"Silv, the party is at my house, I'm gonna be wearing slippers and my comfiest tee"
"No, the Montgomery New Year party is a big event in little Lexington so you have to look nice, not forgetting to mention that you need a dress that will knock Eli's socks off" she sent me a suggestive smile. I sighed, exasperated by her desperation for me and Eli to date.
"But I don't want to knock his socks off, I'm perfectly fine with him staying soundly in his socks" I crossed my arms across my chest, determined that I wasn't going to get out of the car.
"Well, we're not"
"We?" I questioned before a loud knock on my window made me scream in surprise.
"Oh my god Vincent, you nearly gave me a heart attack" I panted as I open the door.
"Come on Princess, you shall go to the ball" he exclaimed dramatically.
"Even if we have to drag you kicking and screaming" she gave me an evil grin.
"No. I'm not shuffling around shops for hours to impress a guy who doesn't notice me. Not gonna happen" I sat firmly, but before I knew it Vincent was lifting me into the air and carrying me over his shoulder.
"Trust me, you've got two experts here, he'll notice you"

Hours of torture later and we stood in a shop, staring aimlessly at dresses upon dresses. It was like I had stepped straight into one of my nightmares. The dresses were staring at me, pulling me in until I was drowned by them. Perhaps I am being slightly dramatic though?
"Wow, I didn't think this was going to be this hard" Vincent said, running his fingers over a silky dress that was far too glamorous for me.
"Yeah Peyton, for someone who claims not to care you're being awfully picky. You turn down everything that Vincent and I suggest" I could tell that Silver was getting fed up and she was right to. I kept turning everything down because nothing was perfect, nothing was good enough to impress Elijah. The truth was I felt inadequate. Elijah Antonelli was fire. He was warm, he was beautiful, he was the hearth that everyone gathered around. He burned with passion and I felt like he gave me life. In comparison I was air or water or Earth, I lacked the danger and excitement that surrounded Elijah like an aura. My eyes scanned the shop waiting for something to jump out and surprise me, to take my breath away. Slowly, my eyes landed on a dress the colour of fire. Well, if I couldn't be fire I would have to wear it.

"That is it. That is the dress. It is the dress that puts all other dresses to shame" Vincent said as I modelled the red bandage dress. It was tight and clung to my curves but Silver kept insisting that I had the body to pull it off.
"If I weren't trying to help you impress Elijah, I'd steal that dress away from you, but fortunately for you my loyalty is strong" Silver said wisely as she reclined on a chair in the changing room.
"Listen, we think you're great Peyton, and so does Elijah. He adores you, I can tell, but he just needs a bit of a push. This dress is an eye-opener, to make him see what's right in front of him. You're beautiful on the inside and out, but you looking hotter than the sun might give him the confidence boost he needs to make a move" Vincent said as he helped me adjust the straps on the dress, now coined as 'The Eye-opener'. His words were kind and they made sense to me, in a way, this dress had opened up my eyes as well. I shouldn't have put so much pressure on myself trying to look good because after all, I wanted Eli's affections all the time, not just when I squeeze my ass into a tiny dress. That being said though, I looked hot and there was no harm in making him drool. I was ready to knock his socks off.
"Well, he'll either make a move or realise how gorgeous you are and be too afraid that you're out of his league" Silver shrugged, chiming in with her ever-so-helpful pessimism. I was so glad Vincent had joined us.

***
The night began as it did every year, I sat in my room hoping the party would end soon. Eventually Silver would run into my room and drag me down stairs to socialise. The Montgomery New Years Eve party was a pretty big deal. My father was practically a celebrity in Lexington, what with being the single father of eight children and the owner of a successful security firm. Everyone who was anyone came and that included all of my family. I took a deep breath, listening to the sounds of the party below me, the music and the laughter. I stood up and looked at myself in the mirror, taking in my curly hair that stylishly framed my face and the way my red dress hugged my curves. I thought about Elijah, how he was downstairs probably causing trouble with my brothers, or charming the party guests or sitting silently sulking in a corner. I couldn't wait anymore, I had to see him. Taking another deep breath, I put on a brave face.