Chapter 26: A Day Alone

"Hey, I'm going to get supplies," Dawn said the next morning as we finished off the remainder of our fruit and granola bars. "We need more food and I think it'd be a good idea to pick up some medicine from the Poke Mart." 

Both of us had been quiet ever since waking up, ignoring what had happened the night before. All that I'd really worked out in my head was that when Dawn was uncomfortable, she avoided talking about it. Since I usually avoided talking in general, I decided not to bring up last night's conversation again. Not that I wanted to bring it up anyway.  

"Good idea," I said offhandedly, watching Bagon eat his food. He'd been eating more at every meal and I was taking it as a sign that he was growing and may evolve soon.  

"What'd you just say?" Dawn asked. "Did you say 'good idea'?" 

I looked up at her. She was standing quite still, her empty backpack in hand. My expression desired to mimic the shock on her face that we both felt at my approval, but my face remained impassive. "Yeah. We need supplies." 

I shrugged indifferently and turned back to Bagon. 

"You've just never complimented me before, except when I dared you to." 

"Is it against the law?" I practically growled. 

"No." Dawn smiled and stared at me keenly. I looked away as she continued, "I'll be back by sunset. It'll be interesting exploring Verdanturf. Have fun training, guys." 

She began walking away, Piplup at her heels, as I called, "We're not training for fun!" 

Dawn turned around and grinned before waving a last good bye. She disappeared into the trees. I sighed and looked down at my knees. What had made me blurt out that compliment? 

A low chuckle began to my right. I eyed Bagon, who was smirking at me. 

"What's your problem?" I asked dryly. 

Bagon's smirk widened as he held up a piece of Pokemon food and put it to his chest, his eyes blinking slowly and his lips quivering. His posture and expression reminded me of a certain someone. 

"Are you attempting to be Dawn?" I frowned. 

Bagon nodded and, unable to hold it in any longer, began laughing and pointing at me in what I assumed was amusement at how I'd told her she'd had a good idea. 

My face turned red with anger. "For that you're going to have to train for twice as long when it comes to our Flamethrower and Dragon Claw drills." 

Bagon stopped suddenly, his face sour.  

"Or don't you want to be the strongest?" I crossed my arms. 

"Bagon!" he growled. 

"Then stop making fun of me and let's get to work."

We trained all day. The hours passed quickly as Bagon practiced, mostly in silence except for my few pointers. 

"No, direct the flames with your tongue, Bagon. That's how you aim," I corrected as he shot off mark. 

Nodding, he tried again, succeeding for the first time in hitting the target which spiraled, swinging violently back and forth. 

"Now try to continue the Flamethrower for ten seconds." 

Bagon straightened and prepared his stance, looking nervous. He's never been able to continue a Flamethrower for longer than two seconds before. 

"Focus," I commanded. "Take a deep breath and find your inner fire near your stomach. Close your eyes and visualize the Flamethrower. When I say 'now', you will strike with all you've got."