Anastasia Lucendent Adela

The throne room was a large round chamber made of smooth gray stone. It had big wooden doors and high widows so natural light lit the room and made shadows dance across the walls. Today, servants had tied back the thick red drapes with expensive gold bindings.

  The flags of the clans lined the walls and the large red, gold, and aqua flag of the combined Five Kingdoms was above the thrones. It stood proudly, a fine centerpiece in the large room.

  A red carpet led to the steps and the platform that the thrones rested on top of. On a normal day, eight thrones were lined up for every member of my large family, but today only three thrones remain.

  One large throne for my father, sculpted of gold with straight designs meant for durability and use. A medium sized throne to its left was meant for Mother, crafted of silver and sculpted in soft curved designs for elegance. The one to the left, a small delicate throne with rose gold metals and pretty gems crowning the top is mine.

  My older brothers stood on either side of the red carpet, dressed neatly in their finest attire. They listened intently as Mother instructed them to hold their shoulders back and prepare for the people to enter.

  James had tied his dark hair at the nape of his neck with a golden band, showing his position in the army. He looked as handsome as always and I had already made a bet with father that he would get the attention of many young maidens. August was the only one in separate attire, a cloak shedding the broken wrist that was diagnosed late last night. He kept it wrapped and in a sling around his neck, and his discomfort was made quiet obvious by the frown sculpted on his usually happy face.

  On the other side of the carpet, Philip and Alex stood causally with their hands in their pockets. Mother had told the maids to do their best with taming their hair, but it was quite a lost cause.

Charles stood quietly beside them. He didn't have a book with him, which was surprising. Probably taken from him so he would pay attention.

My brothers smiled at me when I approached, bowing their heads as I pass. They hardly ever have to be that formal, and I catch Philip making a face at me. I stick out my tongue just to remind them I still can. I catch James's eyes from below me, and he grins. I take another deep breath.

As soon as I am seated beside Father the servants pull open the large wooden doors. The crowd quickly filled the large room, an anxious and excited air coming with them. I watch the way mothers point me out to small children holding tight to their hands. Little girls wave up at me and I smile to them, glad someone is excited for the day. My hands nervously fidget with a thread on my gown, but I keep my face pleasant

Mother glanced at me and for a moment I wondered why then realize it was a gesture to try and calm my moving hands. I stilled them and she smiled kindly, winking at me and turning her attention back to the growing crowd.

I do the same, gazing towards the circles of excited families and children weaving in an out of legs.

  In a matter of minutes, I will meet my future husband. The thought made me sick to my stomach, but I kept a practiced fake smile on my face, I am doing this for my kingdom.

I kept repeating the thought over and over in my mind. If anything will make me feel better, the well being of my kingdom surly will.

I am doing this for my kingdom.

I watch my brothers mingle with people in the crowd. A clump of maidens not much older than me watched James from a distance, giggling and waving, but James only smiled politely and turned to talk to a man I recognized from his troops.