Anastasia Lucendent Adela

I stood in the same spot where we first met and pulled my cloak closer around myself so nobody could see my expensive pink dress.

I had left so fast I didn't even think about how recognizable I would be with my red lips and jewelry. Every time a stranger walked beside me I had to stop myself from jumping. I waited for fifteen minutes and (since I'm quite impatient) I was turning around and about to leave.

Then a red cloaked figure jumps down from a balcony nearby. "Going so soon, love?" Said a familiar voice. I turn to see Magiano. He was wearing that red cloak again, and his lute was still strapped to his back.

He smiled his award winning smile. "Lovely speech you had today," he says casually. I felt his eyes take in every part of my existence and to my surprise and delight he seemed slightly in awe at my appearance. I roll my eyes, but I was happy that he came to see me, even if it was watching from a crowd.

"What took you so long?" I ask with my hands on my hips. I was starting to worry that the thief had ran instead of keeping his word. But then he wouldn't get his gold and I wouldn't get my information.

Magiano shrugs. "Getting into the castle is one thing, but getting out? That's another story!" He said with a laugh.

He offers his arm for me. I was hesitant to take it, but then I see the gleam in his golden eyes and lightly take his arm as he begins to escort me through the village.

People were still out from the ceremony. Young children ran around and I even saw a little girl pretending to be me. She had her hand out and a little boy wrinkles his nose then kisses it. I smile. At least someone is getting some joy out of this.

Magiano leans down, I could feel his hot breath against my neck and it sent tingles up my spine. "We are pretending to be a couple," he says, making the heat rise to my cheeks at the comment. "If anyone asks where we are going say that we want to be alone on the Rocky Hill."

I nod, looking forward and smiling kindly towards the passing townspeople. Occasionally, one would take a double glance but by the time they would try to get a better look at my face we would be gone. I tug my hood lower onto my forehead. I don't know where the Rocky Hill is, but it must be a common place for villagers our age.

We walked down the streets, the twist and turns natural to the terrain and filled with the buzz of villagers celebrating the arrival of the Clans.

I tried to remember the directions we took to make a mental map in my mind.

Left.
Right.
Right.
Left.
Right.

I quickly lost track and ended up observing the men, women, and children around me. The women sat back and watched as their children danced to the live musicians in the town square, and the men shared drinks and stood around the edges of the friendly circle. I watched a young boy gingerly guide the hesitant steps of a toddler. She giggled as he began to dance with her. I smiled, enjoying the happiness of my people, and I was sad when we turned the corner away from the square.

We were about to walk through the back of the village when an older lady with a baby wrapped in a snug blanket in her arms stops us.

"Where might you two be going at this hour?" She asked looking from me to Magiano with a motherly smile. We both glance at each other and pull our hoods closer in a casual manner as if we were just adjusting our cloaks, in reality we were both hiding our identities.

I put on a innocent smile, hoping the shadow was enough to conceal my features. The woman seemed sweet, and only stopping us in concern for our safety at the approaching of night. I shake Magiano in a friendly and excited manner. "We are going to Rocky Hill." I say looking up at Magiano, patting his arm gently, and trying to put as much love into my eyes as I can for the thief.