Chapter 6

Ayla

1 week later

"Honey, are you done?" I heard Lena ask to my back. I leaned away from the bar and turned towards her. Smiling, I waved the cleaning towel at her.

"Almost. I just need to wipe the bar," I replied.

Lena nodded and then smiled back. "Okay. Hurry up and finish, then you are done for today."

It's been a week since I started working at the Estate. I didn't know anything about cooking or cleaning. At my father's house, I had maids who did it all for me. But Lena, as gentle as always, helped me with the transition. When she assigned me to work, she made sure that I was only doing the cleaning and that I was always with her, so that the other maids wouldn't judge me.

For the time that I had been here, I found out that around 50 of Alessio's men lived in the Estate and there were 20 maids. I wasn't surprised when Lena told me. I had that much people living in my father's mansion too. But what surprised me was that I barely saw anyone.

Most of my time was spent in the kitchen, helping Lena with making the food and then I would clean when she was done. The first three days was horrible and I was sure Lena had a good laugh at all the mess that I made. But I was finally getting the hang of it.

A few minutes later, I was done. Swiping at my forehead tiredly, I sagged against the counter. Slightly, turning around, I noticed that it was closed to 10 p.m.

"Wow," I muttered softly. Most of the time, I was done around seven or eight. But we had guest over, so the Estate was really busy.

After doing a quick check around the kitchen to make sure that I was finished, I turned off the lights and walked out. As I closed the door, I saw Lena coming towards me.

"I'm done," I announced with a quick smile. She came closer and enveloped in a hug.

"Good job," she said as she pulled back. Lena was a very affectionate woman and I saw her as a mother figure. My mom died when I was one year old, so I never knew what it was like to have a mother caring for you. So I hung on to Lena's affectionate side. I let my heart accept the fact that there was someone who cared for me.

Giving her a nod and after saying our goodnight, I walked away. My legs felt heavy as I walked up the stairs, tiredness taking over my body.

I made my way to my bedroom but stopped in my tracks, when I noticed the door of the sitting room opened. The sitting room was between mine and Alessio's room. I looked around me, and when I noticed that no one was there, I slowly made my way towards the room. As I got closer, I saw that the lights were on. Leaning forward, I peeked inside.

There was no one.

I walked in and went straight to the piano that was next to the large windows. Two days before, I was assigned to clean the sitting room, which was also a library. When I walked in, the first thing that got my attention was the large piano.

Music had always been my solace. I used to play the piano everyday at my father's Estate. It helped me forget. The only way that I could block the memories of what Alberto did to me every night was by losing myself in music. The rhythm. The soft and gentle sounds that came through the keys.

As I got closer to the piano, my heart started to beat faster. I knew I shouldn't have been there but I couldn't stop myself. I stopped in front of the bench and leaned forward, placing my hand gently on the piano keys.

My fingers were itching to play. Just one song.

But I couldn't. I was strictly told not to come in this room, except for cleaning. I softly moved my fingers over the keys, making sure that I didn't press down.