Chapter 42

The sandpaper feeling of my dry tongue forces me awake.

I look around in panic. I'm underneath white bedsheets in a small room which by the looks of it is in the middle of nowhere. Out of all three windows, all I see are trees. It's like I'm surrounded by trees.

I lift my legs carefully and place them on the wooden floor. As I stand, a pain shoots up my back but it's nothing I can't handle.

I ease my hand to my back where the bullet wound was. That day, the shouting, the guns, hiding in the cabinet, Sam's phone call. It's all fresh.

I look around. Where is Sam? Is he dead? I walk over to the window and peak out. I'm literally in the middle of nowhere. All I see is trees and by the side to my left is water. Like I'm on an island. Where am I?

Panic starts to set. Am I kidnapped by those men? Then dread sets in. Am I dead? Is this all just what being dead is like?

I slam my hand hard against the edge of the window as it draws blood. I take a deep breath. I wouldn't have bled if I was dead.

I shake my head at such an outrageous thought. Walking over to the stairs at the top right hand corner of the room.

A wooden spiral staircase that goes down. It creaks beneath my feet as I go down. The sight catching my eye. I seem to be in some sort of cabin. A holiday cabin perhaps.

I look around for a pair of shoes or something to put on my feet. I need to get out of here. I don't know who has bought me here and I don't know how long it's been since that incident.

I open a small drawer and rampage through it. Just paper and the tv remote. I walk over to the kitchen area. It's a decent sized cabin. Bigger then the ones you see in movies.

Holding my back as I ease myself down to see the inside the kitchen cabinets and drawers. Just food.

My stomach rumbles at the thought of food but I can't just sit here, I need to leave.

I peak my head through the window by the kitchen. There's no way I can leave this place, I'm surrounded by trees and water. Without some boat or something, I'm stuck here and that with the fact that I have no idea where I am.

I see a bright yellow pair of thongs by the door. I run and put them on my feet. They're my size, thank god.

I twist the door handle and swing it open when I see Sam. Tension leaves my body as I slam my body against his.

I wrap my arms tightly against him as I smell his scent in. Musky and woody. I like. Sam wraps his arms around my back and pulls me in. I can feel the soft kisses against my neck.

"Thank god you're okay," he says. He grabs my face between his hands and kisses me, ever so softly as if he's scared I'll break any minute now.

It's good though I need more. So I press my lips harder against his. I grab his shirt and twist him as I slam his back into the door. My hand goes around his side as a the noise of shattered glass draws our attention.

I look over at the frame on the ground. I laugh. "I did it again. Clumsy me."

Sam smiles my way before he joins in to laugh with me. "That's the way I like it anyways."

He grabs my hand and moves me over to the sofa. "You okay though?"

"Very." I grab his hand between mine. "What happened, how am I still alive?"

Sam frowns. "I told you I wouldn't let anything happen to you." He brushes his thumb over my hand. "When you called me, I rushed over to your place but I called Daniel too. He arrived shortly after and took us to hospital."

"And the guy?"

"He's dead, Vi. Daniel killed him."

I nod. The idea of Daniel doing that freaks me out but I just nod. "How long have I been out?"

"You were unconscious for a two weeks. Doctors said you weren't going to survive but you pulled through during the second half."

"And Max?"

A tear rolls down Sam's face. "He's out of the coma."

I smile. "Thank god."

His voice cracks. "It isn't good though."

I look him in the eye. "What do you mean?"

"He's on heavy medication and...and...well."

"And what?"

Sam clears his throat. "He can't walk."

My heart sinks. "But he's okay, right?"

"That's not the worst part."

"What's the worst part?"

Sam squeezes my hand. "He doesn't know who I am."

I watch as the tears gush out of his eyes. Like a heavy day of rain. "He's lost his memory."

I don't know what to say and part of me is so sure that whatever I say won't be good enough for Sam. It won't ease him of his pain so all I do is pull Sam to myself and I hug him. Hug him for ten minutes or so where none of us say a word, we just relish each other's heat. Feel each other's presence to know we're safe. To know that we're going to be okay.