Chapter 1 - The Imperfect Timing

I heaved a sigh of relief as he made his exit from the room. I never understood why it became so difficult to breathe at normal pace whenever he was around. I kept looking at the one direction and there were flashes in front of me. The one chance meet we had about six months back and his memories had occupied me since then.

It was 16th June 2015. Now I don't happen to remember the date because I met him but it was because I had topped my semester exams. I was a student of final diploma in mass communication from one of the best universities in Pune. My friend wanted a treat, nothing grand as such; it was more of a movie marathon at the Inox. Our otherwise mogambo hostel warden had given us late night permission and all we did through out the day was watch movies one by one on all the five screens and according to Iru short for Irawati Deshmukh my best buddy from college that's what film students do. Although I specialized in journalism and she was an audio visual student we had become best of friends since the first semester. She was family for me away from home.

Oh sorry I forgot to introduce my family. My family comprises of Appa, Mom and Rishab my younger brother. We are properly from Mangalore but my Dad is a research scientist at the AIIMS in Delhi and we had been living in the city ever since I was six. Mom is a Professor in Delhi University and Rishab is just a confused teenager. I had never lived away from family till I decided to take up my further studies in Pune. But it wasn't far that I was soon going to join them in Delhi with only one more semester to go and I would be back to the same world of love and affection.

Oops did I get a little carried away?? Family always make me emotional. So let's get back to where we were yes at the Inox. It was nine already and we were catching up with the last movie of the day - a horror flick. The mahaan Iru said we should save the best for the last. Horror movies were never a great idea for me but with Iru around I could never have my way. It was my treat and she insisted and I had to resort.

It was a proper PVR with some 30 odd seats of which I guess only 12-15 were filled which is why we didn't have a problem to get in even if we were 1o minutes late. The corner seats were already occupied by cuddly young couples. Guys have a special liking for horror movies with their girl friends not because they are macho or something but here they get more chances to get cosier to their girl friends in the name of easing their horror.

"Such cheapos these guys are!!! And these girls can they get any dumber??", Iru pin pointed a couple where the girl had almost shoved her face in the guys chest to save herself from looking at the weird monster on screen. I spared a chuckle at her comment and we proceeded to our seat. Did I forget to mention Iru is a hardcore feminist? And the mere mention of such guys could make her virtual tail set on fire.

We settled at our seats with two jumbo packs of popcorn and coke. But it was no sooner that I started feeling uncomfortable. The distorted faces on the screen were very disturbing, the sudden pop ups of headless bodies and scary faces were making it almost impossible for me to sit back and enjoy. How could people get entertained by watching such stuff?? I glanced at Iru who had almost set herself inside the screen with bulging eyes. She munched the popcorn at a dragging pace to let the horror feel sink in. It was disgusting to look at her with those expressions; it felt like there were two horror films going on one in front of me and the other by my side. I turned my face again towards the screen and now the little girl in the film was playing with a ball. She thumped it on the floor and it came back to her. The back ground score started getting intriguing to hint that something was going to happen and then suddenly SPLASH!!!

"What the hell Iru!!!", I muttered in annoyance trying to jerk the droplets of the sticky liquid. Out of excitement the girl had poured the full glass of coke on me.