Anastasia Lucendent Adela

I arrived to breakfast the next morning late.

My family was already at the table waiting for me. Philip and Alex tried their best to eat an apple without Mother noticing. She prefers we wait until every family member is seated before beginning to eat.

I had extra long preparations for today due to my important visit of the sick prince.

Lucky me.

Despite the event, I couldn't help but feel lovely in the violet dress the maids had put me in today. It clung to all the right curves, elegant sweeps falling around my shoulders, and little white flowers were braided into my intricate half up hairstyle.

"My favorite daughter!" Father's voice echoes as I enter the room. I smile towards him, knowing he still thinks this is a funny statement since I am his only daughter.

Mother watches me with narrowed eyes as I take my seat. Nothing every gets past her watchful eyes. "You look tired today Ana, did you sleep well?"

I smile to make her feel better, and shrug, avoiding her eyes so she won't see my guilt at not telling her I had snuck out. "I had trouble sleeping last night," I lie.

The truth, that I stayed up late into the night watching the sunset with a beautiful village thief by the name of Magiano, is something I cannot tell them yet.

Before Mother can pry for more information, James sits down his fork and turns to me. "Father has asked for me to escort you to see the prince," he says.

My spirits immediately lift, and I grin towards my oldest brother. I always love spending time with James.

"When are we leaving?" I ask, quickly shoveling eggs into my mouth even as Mother urges me to slow down.

"Right after breakfast," he says with a nod and takes a sip from his goblet. He didn't seem worried about being late, so I slow down my quick eating.

I take a sip of cold water and purse my lips. "Is the prince really sick?" I ask my parents, wondering if either of them truly knows what's going on. Surly he didn't come down with a bug out of pure bad timing?

Father shrugs. "All I know is that John told me he was ill. He insisted that he wanted to come to the ceremony, but couldn't even stand."

I roll my eyes. Great. Not only is he a actor, but his dramatic flare seems to be a little too creative.

Father laughs at my unamused expression. "If he really is ill you must be kind to him," he warns me, but the comical expression on his face told me that he didn't believe the story either.

Philip snorts, elbowing Alex who was now eating his third serving of potatoes. "What a wimp," he says, not even attempting to whisper about it. Alex laughs too. "I bet he cries when he loses a sword fight."

The two chuckle, and soon the whole table is laughing. Augustus grins. "I wonder if he even knows how to ride?" He asks with a playful tilt of his head. The table laughs again, and I am happy to hear August's laugh. He has been quite down since his injury.

Charles joins in next. "I bet he rides a pony!"

Well, if I am to be married at least my family has a since of humor about it. It was a pathetic positive to the horrible agreement.

Once our plates have been cleared of food, and the servants begin to pick up the silver utensils, James stands and looks down towards me. He raises an eyebrow "Are you ready Ana?" He asks.