Chapter 18.2: An Unfortunate Discovery

"What was the name of that seamstress you kept using as an excuse?" Andrew asked. I frowned, releasing the door handle to cross my arms.

"Why do you ask?" I said slowly. A devious grin split his face as he walked towards me. I backed away to keep some semblance of distance between us, my hand reaching for the doorknob behind me. But Andrew saw what I was doing and shot an arm out to keep the door shut. He leaned on it, effectively pinning me in place against the door.

"Her name, Libby," he said, standing so close that I could feel his breath on my face.

"Audra, but don't get her in trouble," was all I managed, not daring to move a muscle. He was so close I could see the flecks of blue in his green eyes.

"Don't you trust me at all?" he breathed, that tantalizing half smile tugging at his lips. As soon as I realized I was looking at his mouth, I darted my eyes back up to meet his, my heart hammering so loudly in my chest that I was sure he could hear it.

"I'm starting to think I shouldn't," I whispered. He held my gaze, the silence as heavy as the tension between us. I startled as the grandfather clock next to us started to chime ten o'clock, breaking the spell that had fallen over us. I seized Andrew's momentary distraction to duck out from under his arm, reaching for the doorknob again.

"I really should be getting back," I said, giving the door a tug. He kept his hand in place, cocking his head at me as if to ask if I really thought he was about to move it.

"Promise me you'll come," he said, looking over at his hand holding the door. I inhaled, crossing my arms. He wasn't about to let me leave until I agreed, but I needed to get out of the little library and away from him so my thudding heart could slow.

"Only if you figure out some way I can do it unnoticed," I lied. Andrew nodded, believing me. He reached down to pull the door open for me.

"It's a deal then," he smiled, gesturing for me to exit. I forced a smile, rolling my eyes as I tried not to run from the room. When I passed him, Andrew caught my hand halting me in my tracks.

"I'm heading back the way I came," he said, kissing my hand, "Good night, Libby,"

I said nothing as he backed into the little library, closing the door behind him as he made his way back towards the service entrance. I inhaled shakily, still facing the closed library door as I scrubbed my face with my hands. What exactly had just transpired? I'd lied about attending the masquerade in order to escape and now it was abundantly clear that I couldn't attend. Twice now the prince had cornered me in the library when he should have been choosing a wife from among the debutantes.

I shook my head to clear it, whirling on my heel to hurry back towards the entrance hall. When I opened my eyes, however, someone was staring back at me from a doorway just down the hall.

Emily's face was a mask of rage and triumph as she emerged from her hiding place, her fists quivering at her sides.

"Oh damn," I muttered to myself, as she picked up her skirts and hurried back towards the ballroom. I did the same, sprinting as fast as my heeled slippers allowed and skidding to a halt in front of her. She tried to duck around me but I caught her shoulders before she could turn the corner.

"Let go of me you traitorous little witch!" she snapped, grabbing my shoulders in an attempt to wrestle me off.

"You don't understand!" I hissed, fighting her back towards the room she'd materialized from. I pushed her through the doorway, blocking it with my body.

"Oh I think I do," she hissed, "I know what I saw and what I saw is a deceitful, lying little-"

"You saw the prince kiss my hand in farewell, nothing more!" I snapped.

"And yet the two of you emerged from a room where you'd spent quite some time alone! I knew there was something off about you and now I understand what it is. You're a common harlot, dallying with the prince to distract him from everyone else!"

I burst into maniacal laughter as the night's events came crashing down upon me.

"You gathered all that from witnessing the prince kissing my hand?" I asked, incredulous, "I know you hate me, but a common harlot? Really?"

Emily, disconcerted by my laughter, crossed her arms sullenly.

"Before you run off and tell tales about me to Ella, did you ever stop to wonder why the prince had so suddenly taken an interest in her? She'd a timid, quiet little thing when compared with Ashley or Sarah. She'd never have gotten his attention on her own,"

"I'm sure Ella would want to know exactly what kind of maneuvering had won her an esteemed place," Emily spat back. I rolled my eyes, well aware that I wasn't going to talk her into believing me, but I had to do my best to ensure she wouldn't tell Ella.

"Then tell her for all I care. But you're wrong, I haven't touched him," I sneered, "He just happens to be bored out of his mind by the brainless conversation with all you well finished ninnies. I can't fault him for wanting to converse with someone who isn't muttering idiotic pleasantries about the weather or the food,"

"You think you're better than us, don't you? Because you read books and have grand ideas about a woman's place in the world," Emily snapped, approaching to stand mere inches from me, "Well you're not. I have my eye on you, Elizabeth, and I know what I saw. I'll let Ella make the decision on whether or not you should be permitted to stay,"

She shoved me, trying to get past me, but I grabbed onto the doorframe.

"Tell her and the prince will know," I shot back. Emily snatched her hands back from where she'd been attempting to wrestle my arms.

"Ella isn't after the prince, she's after Lord Amberly now," she scoffed, renewing her assault on my hands.

"And Lord Amberly is the prince's best friend. Do you really think it would play in Ella's favour if James found out that she's so easily manipulated by one of her ladies in waiting?" I said, bluffing.

"As if you'd bore the prince with tales of womanly feuds," she scoffed, renewing her assault on my hands, "No lady in her right mind would do such a stupid thing,"

"Precisely, no lady would ever do it, which is why I've already told him all about you. The prince knows all about your little campaign to have me sent home," I lied, "And James is a smart man who has no time for petty court gossip. Finding out the woman he's enamoured with is so gullible that she'd believe such hearsay would hardly make Ella seem like a suitable wife,"

Emily paused now, paling ever so slightly as she took a step back to consider my words. I watched as she weighed them in her head, the widening of her eyes alerting me to the fact she'd realized that it was, indeed, something I would do.

"If you tell Ella and I'm sent home, the prince will tell James what happened," I said, "Ella will no longer be in the prince's favour and once Lord Amberly decides she's not the right woman to marry, how do you think that will fare for her prospects?"

Emily said nothing, her cheeks flushing as she clenched her fists at her sides. I had her now.

"You are going to rue the day you crossed me," she spat.

"You don't frighten me in the least," I shot back, "I've been to nearly every finishing school in the country and there's always a girl like you, latching onto the quiet, successful ones to follow in their footsteps and hopefully share in some of their glory. You think you have a perfect shot at being a debutante next season if we get Ella engaged because there's no way she'd name Rosanna or me as her successor,"

I took a step towards her, looming over her to intimidate her.

"I know what you're after, so I can ruin you," I threatened, "I'm not after anything and there's not much left to ruin of me. I would be very careful if you tried to cross me again,"

Emily was staring at me with naked hatred in her eyes. I released the doorframe, allowing her to shove past me out of the room. My heart was hammering in my chest as I feverishly hoped she'd bought my tough act.