u n o

if dan howell was anything, it would be artistic. he played piano, sculpted, dabbled in film making and acting, loved photography, could write something at the drop of a hat and painted when he needed something to do. the thing that he was the best at, and what he loved doing the most, was drawing. he could look at something, pledge it to memory, and draw it effortlessly. one might think if he weren't directly studying something, he wouldn't get as a good of a result as he could've, but that just wasn't true. dan howell was born an artist, and a fine one at that.

every artist needs a muse, and dan's muse often changed. dan was what he liked to call a surfer - not to imply he was at all athletic, but to say he moved around a lot. the longest he'd ever stayed in a school system was for three years, and those were his first three years of schooling, so it wasn't like he remembered being there, or missed it even. dan had to yet to figure his muse for this year, as he had once again moved. his parents told him they'd be here longer, as his father was sure his teaching job was secure. that was normally why he moved - his dad would either get fired or quit from a school, and they'd have to move to accommodate a new job. dan's dad promised that this was it, as it was where he had dreamed of teaching. dan just nodded along, thinking how is this different from any other jobs?, and said nothing. he didn't want discourage his father, and he had a good feeling about this new town. it radiated good vibes, and dan was ready to tackle it.

although, he certainly would not tackle it. as an artist, he expressed himself through his work, and barely his words. he would be considered mute, if it weren't for the few necessary words and sarcastic comments, made only under his breath. he was quite the shy person, making it even more difficult to be the new kid all of the time. he had figured a year or two ago that if he made sure to be the least interesting he could be, he wouldn't develop any friendships, making it easier to always be moving. so he was quiet, only speaking when he had to and keeping his distance from people.

when he walked through the doors into a hectic school hallway, he wasn't in the best of moods. it was good he started at the beginning of the year, a rare thing for him. he weaved between the high-energy people in the halls, trying to find the office. someone bumped right into dan's back, not hard enough to knock him over, but hard enough to annoy him. he huffed and turned around to scold whoever it was that had ran into him, and was met with quite possibly the most fascinating person he had ever seen - and that was saying something, as dan had seen a lot of people.

they boy had the brightest blue eyes dan had seen on a human being. they were blue as waves, crashing on a beach in the middle of a storm. they were as blue as the sky on a clear sunny day. they were as blue a morpho butterfly, it's gently beating wings propelling it through the air. his hair was a deep black, as if someone had sucked the color out of a raven's feathers and inserted onto this boy's head. his skin was as light as snow, glowing from within. he was tall and lanky, like dan himself. all in all, the boy was one of the most lovely things dan had ever witnessed. he was tempted to whip out his sketchbook in the middle of the crowded hall, but before he could even think to do so, they boy patted his shoulder, saying "watch out for yourself in these halls, yeah?" before leaving dan alone and speechless.

he could feel his face heat up as he hurried down the hall to the office. he already knew his way around, as he had gotten a tour previous to this day. plus, he had a pretty good memory, which proved to be to his advantage. he received a schedule from the secretary, and headed to his locker, grabbing the necessary books and heading to english class. he was glad he got there early, as there were only two or three students in the room, and they didn't even look up when he entered.

"ahh, mr, howell! daniel, is it?" the young, male teacher at the front of the room greeted him. "uhm, dan, if you will," dan said,  not looking up at the teacher. "i'm mr. yarrow," he introduced himself brightly. dan just nodded, staying silent. "you can have that seat, right there, fourth in the the second row, on the right." mr yarrow told him. dan looked up and smiled at him before bringing his books to his assigned seat. he mentally grumbled, as the seats were all in pairs, probably meaning there would be a lot of partner work.