twenty two • the speed of a kobra

"Come on, 'Kid! It makes your jacket look better!"

"Honestly, it really does make it better."

"Seriously, Mikes, you'll do great. Who's gonna beat you? Fuckin' Vic Fuentes? I doubt it!"

The Kobra Kid looked between his friends. A rather shy twenty three year old he made out to be, but for one he was hardly appreciative of the additions his friends and brother had made to his jacket for his race. Not only was the number three on one sleeve, but 'kobra' was on the other in white letters going down the sleeve. They'd also added zippers to the cuffs for some reason, but he hardly minded those. 

"You have a fucking racing helmet already. I know it's Brendon's bike, but you fixed it up and it's perfect for racing. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about." Ghoul smiled at the blonde, handing him back his helmet. It was recently touched up by Ghoul and Party, bolding the letters and the patterns against the yellow. 

Kobra took the helmet, giving a slight nod as he put the helmet on and gripped the keys tightly in his gloved hand. A race. They'd convinced him to do a race from Zone Six to Zone One seeing as he qualified with his motorcycle. Plus, it was sponsored by some Killjoy Dead Pegasus worker so it also meant free gas for a year. And if you killed Draculoids on the way you got free food that wasn't Power Pup.

So, Kobra didn't really have a choice seeing as he was the only one who could drive a motorcycle well.

"We'll be at the finish, Mikes. See you there." Ghoul climbed into the car with Jet while Party hugged the blonde.

"Don't crash or get yourself ghosted. Please?"

"Will do," Kobra said quietly, watching his brother get into the van with DJ Hot Chimp driving. She was young, but Agent Cherri Cola was showing her the ropes of how to drive well, so that meant something.

The blonde proceeded to go to his motorcycle and give it a quick wipe-down with the bandana he kept in his back pocket (not the one around his neck, mind you) until he could stick on the '16' sticker and the 'WKIL 109' sticker on underneath. Though Brendon had put on an Electrokat and a Cosmic Thrust sticker on some years before, they added to the feel of the motorcycle. If anything, it felt more comfortable knowing it was used but well loved.

"Hey! Red leather!" 

Kobra moved the visor on his helmet up to turn and look at the voice calling to him. "What?!"

It was Pete. Arms Race. Even after three years, Kobra couldn't say he was happy to see the shorter man. "Oh, hey Kobra. Didn't recognize you."

"Uh-huh."

"Just wanted to say, er-"

"Come on, motorbabies! Get to your bikes and let's get this race goin'!" It was Bulletproof Smile calling out to them, grinning widely as she held the odd looking gun in her hand. It wasn't a ray gun, but perhaps a pistol. As Kobra climbed onto his bike, he could hear several Killjoys behind him revving up their motorcycles already. So the blonde just relaxed in between Arms Race and Phoenix Fire, glancing across the woman to look at Chemical Kid and Mechanical Mayhem, brothers Vic and Mike Fuentes.

"Ready?"

"You ready, Andy?" Arms Race said, leaning back on his motorcycle and looking at his bandmate beside him.

"As ever."

"How about you, Mikey?"

"Set..."

"Fuckin' ready."

"Go!"

With a general spur, Kobra had fixed his visor and propelled his bike into motion as he sped after Mayhem and several other Killjoys that had gotten in front of him already. Arms Race and Novocaine were behind him, as far as the blonde knew, but that didn't concern him as of now. The butterflies in his stomach had practically vanished, though slight nervousness still did remain. It was a long race, and it would take up most of the day seeing as they were taking the required road (Route Guano, however) and not shortcuts.