Chapter 37

The next few days of fear simulation training went pretty well. In terms of hiding my divergence. But in other terms I was still scared shitless by my fears. My problem wasn't hiding being divergent anymore, it was conquering my fears after the fear simulation. I was always in hysterics after each and every sim. I became numb and I never wanted to talk to anyone afterwards. But then again, a lot of the others were like that. 

Four was proud of me though, he was extremely happy with my progress. He said now he didn't have to focus on me as much. Does that mean there are other initiates that are Divergent? I constantly thought to myself. 

On the fourth day of fear landscape simulations I was a mess. I had had enough of being buried alive, being raped, letting down my family and friends, being abandoned, being dumped by massive waves, being stabbed, punched and shot and I had absolutely had enough of witnessing my family members' deaths. 

It was about four o'clock and I was sitting outside of the dorm, crying. I was starting to calm down but I couldn't get the horrific images out of my head. 

I heard a now familiar sound of thudding boots. I knew who it was. It was Eric.

I looked up to confirm and I was right. 

"What do you want?" I grumbled. I really didn't want to talk to anyone.

"Eliza. I need you to come with me" he stated, sounding sorry for me. 

"What for?" I asked. But he was already down the hallway, expecting me to follow. So I got up off of the hard and cold ground, brushed myself off and followed him.  

I suddenly realised we were heading for the simulation testing rooms. My mind exploded with thoughts and worries. Oh no. What is he going to do? Is he going to watch me go through my fear landscapes? What if he finds out I'm divergent? 

He began to unlock a door. A door of a simulation room. He walked in and held the door open for me. I hesitantly and slowly walked in. What the hell was he doing?

"Eric..." I nervously said. "What's this all about?" 

"Four let me know yesterday that you were struggling with your sims. He asked for me to help you, to let you join me in my fear landscapes, seeing as he thinks I like you" he paused for a little then continued. "At first I said no. I have to be honest with you I thought it was a terrible idea..." he paused again, looking down at me kindly. "But then... I saw you today and I couldn't just leave you" he said as he began hooking equipment up to a machine. 

"I don't know why but I can't stand to see you in pain or imagine you in pain" he continued after he filled me in. He looked down. Obviously he didn't say stuff like that a lot of the time. 

"He wants me to show you that even a 'big' and 'scary' person... Like me... can have fears and be scared" he explained. "I am going to help you by showing you how I handle my fears and how I don't let them get to me afterwards... Okay?" 

"Uh huh..." I said quietly. I was still very nervous. "And you're completely fine with me seeing your fears?" I questioned confrontingly. 

"Well... I'm not sure..." he quizzed as he began hooking the machine up to me. As he did this he caressed my cheek, moving my head to the side a little, so he could put some sort of suction tube to my neck. He was being really gentle for such a 'big' and 'scary' guy. 

He quickly hooked himself up and pressed a button. He looked me in the eyes saying,

"See you on the other side". 

And with that my world darkened. 

I opened my eyes and found myself in a burning building. The fire was growing all around me. I uttered a little whine. Where was Eric?