d o s

phil lester found dan howell enchanting, to say the least. ever since phil knocked into him in the halls, he couldn't shake him from his mind. he wasn't complaining, but it was still a bit distracting. it was even more distracting in english, because he had to sit right next to the beautiful creature, but again, he certainly wasn't complaining. he had taken a shine to the new boy, and he wanted to know anything and everything about him.

phil was more than over-joyed when dan agreed to work on their project after school. he had been anticipating a no, as he felt as he had come on a bit strong. he had never been happier, sitting in starbucks with dan. he was glad he could ask any question he pleased without it making him seem strange. he pulled a small notebook out of his jacket pocket.

"do you always keep that in there?" dan asked. phil nodded. "if there's ever something i want to write down, and i feel like i need  to write it down at that exact moment, it comes in handy," he explained. dan giggled softly. phil thought that everything dan did was soft. his voice was soft as he spoke, as was his breath as he laughed. his skin was softer than butter, phil had noticed, when their hands brushed as dan took his cup. his hair looked so very soft, and phil had to fight the urge to reach out and stroke it lightly. his eyes were soft when they looked at phil, and every time phil looked back, phil had decided his blush was the softest of all his features and habits. phil liked that dan was soft - he was so used to the boys at school acting like hard asses all the time to impress girls. the only people they were impressing were themselves. it's not that any one of them were trying to impress phil. the only one who knew he was gay was his mom. he was glad she accepted him, he was just afraid the people at school wouldn't.

"uhm, phil? w-would you mind if i recorded the conversation on my phone? it would be a lot easier to write my report i-if i could go back and listen to the conversation," dan said. phil nodded, smiling brightly. "that's an awesome idea! before you start recording, could i put my number in your phone, so you can send me the audios?" he asked. dan blushed, nodding and handing phil his phone. he quickly typed his contact in, and the two were ready to start recording.

"alright, so we'll just take turns asking each other questions?" phil suggested, and dan silently agreed. "alright," dan breathed, pressing 'record' on his phone. "what's your full name?" he asked. "phillip micheal lester," phil replied. dan's eyes brightened slightly, and phil tried not to notice. "well now it only seems fair to ask your full name," he chuckled. "it's daniel james howell," dan responded. daniel james howell. phil thought dan's name was the most melodic of things, much like dan's own voice. "what's your favorite color?" dan asked. "hmm.. i'd have to say blue," phil said. he thought for a second, before asking, "in your theory, who put the stars in the sky?" dan looked mildly surprised by phil's question, and needed a moment to contemplate it.

"i guess i haven't met them yet, or maybe i haven't noticed they were there," dan mumbled. his face flushed a soft pink, making phil grin, yet again, at how soft dan was. he looked down at his vanilla drink, avoiding eye contact. "that's the most adorable thing i've ever heard," phil mumbled under his breath. "huh?" dan looked up from his cup. he hadn't heard what phil had said, and phil was slightly grateful. "nothing," he said, and smiled unconvincingly.

the two spent the next hour in the small cafe. they each had ordered two more drinks each, so they wouldn't be kicked out. the caffeine had no effect on phil, as he lived off of coffee, but phil guessed dan wasn't used to the amount of coffee he had drank. "you seem a bit livelier," phil chuckled at the lovely boy seated in front of him. dan was literally bouncing on his chair. "d-do i?" dan asked, and giggled. even with the boost from the drinks, dan was still quiet and reserved. he still stuttered, which phil didn't mind, as he found it utterly adorable. "come on dan. you need to go somewhere, get your blood flowing," phil suggested. dan nodded eagerly, downing the last of his latte.

"where to, phil?" dan asked, flashing a small smile. "how about we just go to some shops? we could head down town," phil said. dan nodded again and they stepped into phil's car. as soon as dan closed the car, he muttered, "oh jeeze, it's cold in here, can you turn up the heat?" phil chuckled and turned the heat up. dan whipped out his phone, looked up at phil. "just telling my mom i might be out late," he said, smiling. phil smiled back, nodding and starting the car. "my mom works late, as she works at a hospital on night shift," phil said. dan nodded in polite acknowledgement.

phil turned on the radio, turning it down so it was quiet. the boys sat in a comfortable silence, until phil heard a small snore escape dan's lips. phil giggled quietly. a caffeine crash was what dan was having. he had even more caffeine than phil had thought previously. once phil had found a parking spot in downtown, he looked down at dan for a moment. he looked so peaceful, sat in his front seat. his hair was slightly messy from the ride's jostling. his pink lips were ever so slightly parted, and even breaths caused his chest to rise and fall with them. phil hated to wake him up in this tranquil state, but he did want to spend some time with dan being awake.

"dan," he whispered, shaking him lightly. dan's eyelids fluttered until he squinted his eyes. "wh-what happened phil?" he asked, his sleepy voice causing phil's face to flush, his smile growing wider in the dark car. "nothing love, you just fell asleep. had a bit of a caffeine crash from all that coffee." dan blushed and nodded lazily. "you ready to head out, into the real world?" phil asked. "n-no, not really, but w-we'll see how it goes," dan replied under his breath. phil laughed and jumped out of the car, waiting for dan to follow. he slowly left the car, closing the door just as slowly, as he was probably exhausted from the crash.

the boys walked in another nice silence when dan shouted out, "we must go in here!" grabbing hold of phil's arm and dragging him in an art store. phil smiled, laughing. "all right tiger, we'll go in," he said. dan cheered and entered the cozy shop. dan's chocolate eyes lit up, sweeping the room. there was an assortment of frames on the walls, showcasing oil paintings and charcoal drawings. in the back, there was a shelf which held tubes, filled with different types of paint brushes. phil followed dan around the store, dan's smile of excitement infectious. phil saw dan eyeing a pack of professional sketching pencils. he picked up the tin to look at the price and frowned.

after dan had moved on from the aisle, to absorbed in the store to notice phil stayed as he walked away. phil picked up the tin of pencils and decided he would buy them for dan. sure, the pencils were a bit expensive, but phil figured he could spend the money on a friend. he hoped dan considered him a friend too. he purchased the pencils as quickly as possible and grabbed the paper bag off of the counter. he found dan at the one of the aisles, gazing upon some sketchpads. "i do need a new one.." he muttered, grabbing one off of the shelf. he brought it to the register and payed. "let's go phil," he said, walking out. he pulled out his phone and checked the time. "phil, it's getting a bit late. we should probably go home," he said. phil nodded in agreement.

they got back in the car, and dan asked, "what'd you buy at the art store? i didn't see you purchase it." phil blushed. "it was supposed to be a surprise, but," he pulled out the pack of sketching pencils. "these are for you," dan gasped quietly. "but phil, these were like, fifty dollars! why'd you get these for me?" he asked. "because i wanted to, dan," phil smiled. suddenly, dan jumped on phil, awkwardly hugging him from the other seat. phil chuckled, patting him on the back. "thank you so much," dan whispered. the two stayed like that, perfectly content.

<a/n>

word count ; 1490

alright this is a nice chapter i guess

-sam