Chapter 1 - Updated

Hello everyone! To thank you all for your love and support, I'm posting this longer, better version of the first chapter! I'm in the process of cleaning up this story and making it longer and better. Hopefully, this will help you understand everyone better and tie up loose ends. Although this chapter will be re-edited once more after the entire book is complete, I just couldn't help myself :)

Dedicated to the amazing Maryambanno for being amazing and inspiring me to post this. This one is for you!

Enjoy!

Anna

A Clean Break

Cassandra

"I can't believe they'd do this to me!" I wailed as I re-read the wedding invitation in my hand. My mind was going in overdrive while tears pooled in my eyes. This is not happening, I kept chanting in my mind like a mantra.

"Well, it's no surprise to me." Naina said in a somewhat sympathetic voice as she gently rubbed my shoulders in order to soothe me. She always said that my family can't be trusted. Guess she was right.

"God knows why hate me and want to get rid of me as fast as possible but this is the height!" I half shouted, half sobbed through my tears.

"Cassy, listen to me." Naina gently took the card out of my hand and tossed it aside. Then she wiped my tears and took my hand in hers and spoke. "Cas, sweetie, this is high time. They always do this to you and you always bear it saying they are your family but families don't do such.....such veil things. It's time you stand up to them." She said softly as she rubbed my hands.

"But how can I? I mean..." I sobbed.

"Yes you can and you will." She said strongly. My tears stopped as I listened to her. "You are no damsel in distress, you see this apartment," she waved her hand her hand around "this is yours. You have bought this on your own dime, Cassy. You have made yourself something in the hardest of situations. You're a strong women Cassy, you can do this. All you have to do is let go for once. Let the fate make decisions for a change." I smiled a sad smile. Naina has been urging me to stand up to my family for as long as I can remember. She was always disgusted by their treatment of me, always talking to them in cold, clipped tones.

"She's not good company, Cassandra." My father used to say, shaking his head in disappointment, everytime he saw me with her. But that didn't stop me from being with her for I know the real Naina and I'm glad that I got such a good friend.

My cousin and Naina's elder sister were good friends. She had an apartment at a walking distance from college. So when I asked if I could rent it she told me that I would have to ask her sister, who was living there at that time. I went there the next day. I was just about to knock when the door swung open. She invited me in and I started having my usual panic attacks as I sat on the sofa. Then she opened her mouth.... Funnily though, we hit off immediately. I guess, being completely opposite of each other, we balanced the other perfectly. I ended up staying with Naina throughout my college life. Even though I was a painfully shy person back then, it amazed me that we shared such level of comfort even after knowing each other for handful of weeks. She was like the sister I never had. She still is.

"I know Sim, but well....... Ugh!" I sounded pathetic to even my own years, making excuse for my messed up family. Just as Naina opened her mouth my phone started ringing. I looked at the caller ID. Martina. Great. "Just what I need." I muttered. I took a deep breath and picked it up.

"Hello Martina." I greeted my step-mother in a bored voice, trying to hide my inner turmoil.

"Hello to you too Cassandra." She spoke as if she was mocking me. My dearest family members are the only one that calls me with my full name, and I prefer it that way. It sounds impersonal, just like our relationship with each other. "Did you get the card?" she sounded bored but I knew she was anything but.