Chapter Thirty two | Lily

_________________________

Payne P.O.V

"What do you think?" I asked.
Damn, it was hard to talk right now. The thing in my chest pumping blood throughout my body was going at a massive pace.

See what I did there? I prefer to sound like a person who knows biology rather than a person who's into that whole 'my heart skips a beat' shit.

Passing a hand over the growing stubble on my chin I focused my attention on Alexis.

Her back was to me, her golden locks tied into a simple pony tail and her hair seemed to shine brighter as compared to her dull colored clothing.

Nonetheless she looked as she always did. Simple and beautiful.

She didn't utter a word since I brought her over here.

What did I expect her to do? Be awestruck by it or something.

Okay, maybe getting that reaction from her would have been great but now I felt like a complete idiot.

Why did I even let myself bring her here? Why am I even doing this-

"They're beautiful." Her eyes didn't move from the small bundle of lilies. They were the palest of white and they lined each corner of the lake hidden by a small area of a grass similar to pond weeds.

It seemed like a nice idea at the time to show them to her because I knew from her background she mustn't have seen much flowers around. Like I said it sounded like a good idea at the time, now, this was weird.

I brought her here to show her flowers.

How sweet Romeo.

Bringing me out of my thoughts was the slightest sniffle.

"What's wrong?" I closed the distance between us and turned her to face me.

She was crying.

Ah fuck.

Her hands covered her face the instant she faced me but for some reason I couldn't let this go and walk away.

Gripping her by her shoulders with one hand and prying her hand off her face with the other I cursed, "Fuck... what the hell's wrong?"

She shook her head and tried to get out of my hold. She maybe got an inch further.

Taking a deep breath she pulled her hands out of my hold and wiped off her tears and no more fell.

With a false smile she shrugged.

"I'm sorry. I uhm .." She sniffled. "I just remembered something,"

I waited.

"You want to know?" She asked, surprise evident on her face.

Really?

"Obviously Alexis."

"When my parents were alive or with me or whatever.. We had a small close to nothing house close to the pack border... To the back of the house there was a single lily. It was similar to this. My mom once told me that the lily should be a symbol to me something about in the darkest moments, when you're all alone and in crappy situations, you can survive." A tiny laugh escaped her lips at that and I stared at her trying to figure this girl out.

Wait, scratch that I already had her figured out and it secretly scared the fuck out of me . Her parents had left her, whether they had died or left her, leaving her to survive on her own and changing her in the process by having her go through what she did. This was her.