Nineteen

The apartment was quiet. It was a silence that made you feel like a little kid, the kind of silence that makes you afraid of the dark. The kind of silence that makes you afraid to have your back open to the room. The whole place was dark, silent, and very cold. I sat up in bed, looking over to Chloe's side. She was sound asleep. I decided to put in earbuds and ignore the silence, although Sleeping With Sirens was most definitely not silent.
As I reached for my earbuds, I heard something downstairs. It sounded like glass breaking.

"What the fuck?" I whispered to myself. I slowly got out of bed. Immediately, the cold hit me an I wanted to shriek. I was in my underwear and a baggy wrestling shirt I had gotten in sixth grade. I decided to throw on some sweatpants in case it was a rapist or something.
I approached my door, afraid to open it and alarm the intruder. I nodded to myself, took a deep breath, and slowly turned the metal knob. Slowly, I stepped into the hall. I didn't think about shutting the door. I began to tip-toe towards the stairs.

"Oh shit.." I whispered. I could see a figure in the apartment as soon as I reached the stairs. They had a small flashlight. I glanced around for something to hit them with if they tried to hurt me. I shivered at that thought.

Was this person here to kill us?
Or are they just here for free rape?
Money?
What do they want?

What if I die?

My thoughts were interrupted by an awful noise. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard, but muffled.

"Who the hell is there?!" I yelled. I was halfway down the steps, I counted. There were eighteen total, I was on the ninth.
I had counted because me and Chloe were jumping off the stairs earlier onto the couches. We learned painfully that the ninth was the best. I climbed onto the railing, steadied myself, and jumped. I landed on the couch with a quiet 'thud'.
I got off, and walked towards the kitchen. My hand began to tremble. The area had gone quiet.

"I said, who's there?"

"Rachel, dear?" The lights flickered on. I stopped dead in my tracks.

"What.. no!" There, in the flesh, was my Aunt Ashley.

"It's been so long! Braxton, Alex, and Daelynn have missed you so much!" She tried to give me a hug but I shoved her away.

"So, you surprise me by breaking into where I'm staying? You could have hurt my family! You could have hurt my mom!" I screamed.

"Your mom is dead.." She said.

"My adoptive mother, idiot." I spat. "And if you think I'm going with you, you're so far from right."

"Oh, Rachel! You make me laugh! I came here to inform you, not take you." She said. She began laughing.

"What the fuck have you done to yourself? What do you mean 'inform'?"  I asked. "Yeah.. Still not going with you, though."

"I've already got the papers, me and your fake mother," she spit the last words out like they were poison, "are going to court."
____________________
This sucks
Oh well. I've had finals aaaaall week long.. Let's see. I got a 93% (A-) on my Advanced Geography test, and a 100% (A+) on my Advanced English & Literature test.
Tomorrow I'm taking Advanced Science, Band, Teacher Aide, and Pre-Algebra semester tests tomorrow. Yay? I'm going to fail my science and math tests, I can feel it.

I should go study..

Bye!

-LeAnna