Chapter Four

Hours passed. I didn't know how many hours, but I was sure it had been many considering how many fights I sat there and witnessed. It was the only way I could try and somehow tell, considering how there was no way to tell time.

The sight of all of those fights had been horrible. No one seemed to care that we girls on the stage did not want to see what was happening below. It was very gory, with blood and skin everywhere. Snarls and even screams filled the air. It was horrible and even painful just to watch. Yet, there was one fight that particularly captured my attention, no matter how much it disturbed me.

Four men had stepped forward when they had called to those who would bid on me. The number of people bidding only on me was disturbing as it is. But the size and looks of three of them made me even more scared. Only one man, who was still muscular as far as I could tell in the shadows surrounding him- but not as much as the others, did not scare me like the others. He was the only one that I could see myself surviving with. I had no clue what the others would do to me- or even what he would do. Still, I did not see him doing horrible things to me.

Then they started to fight. The winners played against each other brutally. The men gave up only at the last second. Then, in the end, the one I saw only in the shadows and the man that I could only see from afar, was the one who 'won' me. This scared me even more because I had just thought he was the one I did not need to be scared of.

When it was all done the same voice as earlier, that came from a person I had yet to see, cut through the noise once more.

"Congratulations to all who have won their prizes. As explained earlier, please move to the hallway to make your payments. There you will be given a chance to freshen up and will have the opportunity to accept or decline the men provided to help escort your prize home. After that is all in order, you will be escorted to a private location to receive your prize so nothing shall provide any hardships."

I sat there in shock and fear thinking to myself, This is really happening. I can't believe this is really happening.

The voice continued, "Everyone else, please exit from the nearest exit and return home. I know it is a hard time, as of now, accepting your loss. However, keep in mind, there can always be another time. Thank you all for coming and goodbye."

Suddenly, something once again went over my head and I felt myself being lifted. This time, I didn't even bother trying to get free. There was no getting free when I was in a building full of lunatics who all were taking part in this cult-like activity. A cult is the only thing that made sense to me.

I do not know how long it was until the bag was removed from my head again, but during the time I had it on I was untied to the chair and just bound by my hands. Wherever they put me they seemed to not be worried I would attempt escaping.

When the bag was removed from my head I saw a small light coming towards me. I could not tell how far it was from me. As it grew closer and transformed into multiple lights held by many men, I became very scared.

One of the men did not speak to me but handed his candle off and lifted me to my feet. Gripping the rope that was holding my wrists together he began to untie it.

Against my better judgment I asked, "Who are you? What are you going to do to me? Why are you untying me if I can just run?"

Immediately I mentally pinched myself. Why did I feel the need to ask those questions? Especially the last one. Maybe I could have escaped if I hadn't.

Then I looked around at the few men I could see and realized none of these men were the person who won me in the fight. Maybe these people were here to rescue me!

That thought was quickly squashed when I saw a new light separate from the others and heading our way from a different direction.

When this man got closer my breath caught. Not only because this newcomer was the person who bought me, which means these men were not here to rescue me, but also because of how ruggedly handsome the man was.

He was bigger than I had realized. Even with the candles, it was still very dark. But I could see enough to know I was very wrong assuming he was the smallest and safest choice. His body was big but lean with muscle. Like honed strength that was lying underneath his skin, ready and waiting to be unleashed. But in a way that was entirely rugged and manly.

I must already be developing Stockholm Syndrome, I thought to myself. Why else would I be thinking of how handsome the man who bought me and will be doing who-knows-what to me is?

The man spoke then, in a voice that matched his good looks, "Do not fear. We will not harm you. Ever. As to your questions you asked- you are going to come home with us, with me, of course. I can tell you are smart enough to know running would be useless and you would essentially get nowhere other than causing us to have to tie you back up. None of us want that. So, why shouldn't we untie you?"

I blinked. Fear filled me at the prospect of going home with these men. If I went home with them there was no telling how long it would take for people to find and save me. Let alone if I would ever be rescued. But I knew I could not escape from them here. As he said, I would get nowhere other than worse off if I tried.

The man continued, "As to who we are- my name is Jonah Grey. Everyone else you will meet later. But right now we must get going. It is already dark and if we are going to make it home in time, we must hurry. We already did not plan on stopping so we are behind. But we also don't want to run into any trouble on the way back. I promise all your questions will be answered in due time. For now, let's go."

Jonah walked forward and grabbed my hand. When he did, what sounded light a growl emitted from him, scaring me. Not only was it scary, but what human being growls like some kind of animal?

Then he once again said, "Sorry. Remember, you have nothing to be scared about. I will never hurt you."

I let him hold my hand, telling myself it was not because it felt wonderful but because I could not stop him, and holding his hand was better than being tied up again. Then something else entirely hit me.

How did he hear what I had asked the other men when he was nowhere near close to us?