Chapter Twenty-Seven: In the Dark

A/N: Heyo 

So went on holiday...met relatives who i haven't seen in 18 years...remember the reason why...got sunburnt to a crisp...now i'm tanned with snow white legs (sexy!)

and just to add to the tension, i had to still deal with the aftermath of the issue i had with a (now ex-) friend (the bitch) and a lecturer (old hag) who were out to make my life a living hell. (both can go take a long walk off a short pier for all i care :) )

But now that's over with, here's an update!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty-Seven: In the Dark

We walk passed a series of abandoned shipping containers lining the cemented docking area along the waterfront. I've almost tripped over a number of indescribable (yet heavy) objects, probably calling for attention from whatever lies in the dark from all the racket I was potentially creating. From that I've earned Rain grumbling about me calling down the neighbourhood and hoping it'd get me killed. I'm just going to make him background noise now. Before his short fuse makes me crazy.

I stop and look out at the dark waters, still as a mirror as it reflects the bright lights in the distance of a world away to those who had to call this decaying disremembered place 'home'. But what stood out the most was the Tower. It was darker than the sky and the illumination surrounding made it that much more out of place that space and dark-matter were nothing but shades of white compared to it. It was that detached from reality, it held no capacity to reflect the lights surrounding it.

I walk out along the pier, my feet carrying me to the very edge as if to get closer to that surreality. It was a pretty picture, I had to admit, even with the distasteful décor on this side of the water. I wonder if people on this side stare at it with a 'one I'll be over there' thought.

"Keep moving," the grouch calls at me like I was some dog on a leash. Kinda am...well now I'm sad...and probably going through an identity crisis.

Sighing, I turn back around to face them, only to have that god damn giant-ass wall looming over the horizon and blocking out some of the sky with grungy, hollow buildings sticking up and hiding at least some of it. Some even had dim light poking out the tattered holes that would have once been mirrored-glass windows. Below that I see at least the grouch and Seth waiting on the boardwalk; Seth smoking and Ebenezer Scrooge (as usual) glaring at me impatiently. I quickly scan up ahead to see X, completely in his own world.

Just what are we looking for exactly? A neon arrow that screams 'this way!'? The Keystone I stumbled across wasn't exactly out in the open and I had to fall through about three storeys of a parking lot first. I'm just that lucky.

Keeping in line in front of bad cop and apathetic cop -I try to ignore the feeling that my spinal column is in jeopardy- I find my gaze always returning to the bright lights of the city (and creepy tower) far away over the putrid water that strangely smelt of a dirty fish-tank and a dish-cloth that been used for six months. I feel a slight wave of hot air pick up slightly and was a little relieved as it carried away some of the smell and sort of felt nice against my exposed left hand-

I collide with a wall and realise that it's X standing in front of me, looking at a bridge just in front of us. At first I wondered if he had a problem with old wooden, half rotten bridges but then followed his line of sight and saw a storm drain outlet. Oh don't tell me-

He moves towards it, jumping like a freaking cat from the bridge and on top of the metal and concrete thing without a care and simple swings down into the open mouth that has little more than a trickle of water coming out of it.