Chapter 30- Life cannot get better than this.

Friday rushed by quickly. We had dance practices most of the day. Saturday has finally come and I have a mix of butterflies and pure excitement rushing through my body. I'm sitting next to Poppy on the team bus. You would think because we're all girls the bus would be super loud. But no, it is silent. Some girls are sleeping, the rest of us? Well we have headphones. Poppy is playing candy crush. Indi who is sitting in front of us is watching a movie. I'm just texting and watching the world pass by the window. The dance comp is in the next city over. Bella, Ava, Ryder and the boys are all meeting us there. We as a team have been working so hard. We've put our heart and souls into this dance. I am just hoping we place. It's not about the winning for me. It is about showing off our ability and creativity and our extreme team work. Winning is a bonus when you're doing the thing you love and enjoy doing.

I get a massive fright when the bus stops. I had been typing attentively on my phone. Unaware of my surroundings. "Girls we are finally here," Cleo yells from the front of the bus. I squeeze Poppy's hand as we stand up. 

"Don't forget your costumes," I remind the team, grabbing my duffel bag from the overhead. I receive a few nod and "We won'ts" as I walk out of the bus. The car park is crowded with chatty parents and family members of dancers competing. Some girls have escaped their dressing rooms to come outside to greet them. Cleo leads us through a the crowd. 

"Ooh a secret passage," One if the girls sings, when a side door is held open for us to enter through. Our changing room is pretty plain but it won't be when we are all dressed. It will be a mess. Cleo tells us all to get changed then line up in our year levels for hair and make up. As the captain I'm supposed to be ready first. I grab my costume from the rack and slip it on. A few of the younger girls have tears in their eyes. I walk up to our youngest and sit next her tying my shoe laces in sync with her. 

"Jessie everything will be great. You are one of the best dancers in this team. There is nothing to be nervous about. Because I know for a fact that none of the audience seated in those chairs can do what you can. The dance school scouts have had their eye on you for a while. You have your future set already in your first year of high school. Honestly beautiful, even I am jealous of your talent and I'm the captain," I give her a side hug before standing up again. 

She mumbles a quiet "Thank you," but I know she means it. A smile has crept onto her face by the time I have sat in the seat for my hair to be done.

"Hi darling," Freya my hair stylist says as she places one of those hair cape things over my shoulders. She curls my hair loosely, tousling them a little so it has a messy look. Then ties it in a high ponytail. "Skidazzle," she hums pushing my chair towards make up. Indi and I swap places. Being the sporty girls we have natural foundation and blush and a little mascara. I look at the other year levels' hair and make up. The ballerina year nines have ballet buns and pink lipstick, eye shadow and blush. The make up is really obvious if that makes sense. The year ten comfortable yet gorgeous gals have messy buns and natural make up, you can hardly see it. The cheerleader year elevens have straightened hair in ponytails accessorized with big pink bows and very obvious make up. The year twelves have their hair down with backwards caps to go with their skate girl outfits and minimal make up. When all 20 girls are all made up we line up.

We stand at the side of the stage, we're on next. We watch as Walton's Academy's team of ballet dancers prance across the stage. They are really good, I spot Emerson Ava's sister on the stage. She is a year younger than me and very petite. Her extremely long shiny black hair hangs down her back settling on her tutu. She twinkles in the light as she becomes centre of the show as she does a somersault in the air and lands back her pointed toes. She reminds me of snow white slightly as her lips are rose bud red, but she is far more gorgeous.
Each act is 5 minutes long and as quick as Emme's dancing entrances me, it is over. Ava was proud that both of us were competing today. If they had to award a medal to the most majestic and elegant dancer- Emme would get it in an instant. She is perfect.