Different Sense: 14

Sitting within her own mind, Lothiriel jumped when she heard her name being exclaimed. Looking over her shoulder she watched as Bilbo walked briskly over to her.

Much like last night she was sitting on one of the stone benches. She was admiring the beautiful surroundings of Rivendell. It was so beautiful with its flowing waterfalls and delicate carvings of stone. She felt so at peace here regardless of the experiences of the previous day.

She hadn't admittedly slept, but she did have company. Thorin silently sat with her until she eventually drifted off to sleep, still using him as a makeshift pillow. She had woken up this morning in the room which Elrond had kindly given to her for her stay here.

“Bilbo,” Lothiriel struggled to find the enthusiasm to smile, but she smiled lightly none the less although it was a hollow smile.

He sat down next to her, he fidgeted for several moments before sighing and looking at her gently. “How are you?” He asked concerned.

Lothiriel blinked, Bilbo was lovely, and she couldn't help but feel some gratitude to him for being here. She may have felt more for Thorin for he was the one who got subjected to her full breakdown. She smiled, despite being so out of place, Bilbo really did try hard, and she admired him for that.

“Can I be truthful? I have been vastly better.”

“I can imagine, it's been a harsh few days.” He said while tapping his feet on the floor and clapping his hands on his knees. “I would like to thank you.”

“You don't need to thank me, Bilbo.” Lothiriel looked over at him. She frowned lightly, she could see that he partially blamed himself for the slight destruction which befell on her former home. Giving him a playful nudge she giggled when he almost fell off the bench. Her laughter stopped and she soon groaned and placed a hand on her stomach.

“Is there any food around?” She looked at him curiously.

“We ate earlier on, but you were still asleep so we didn't wake you.”

Lothiriel gave a nod. “I wish you had woken me.” She said while standing up and taking to exploring. She wandered the halls for quite a while before finding the large room which had many places set. Obviously it was a mess, but there was still food laid untouched.

She ran over to the table and took to piling a plate full of food, jumping to sit cross legged on a seat she was too busy paying attention to her breakfast that she actually flinched when a low voice spoke to her.

Lothiriel looked up while quickly swallowing, Thorin was making his way towards the table, and once he reached it he sat down opposite to her. “Thorin,” she said quietly, his blue eyes flicked up to look at her. She paused and took to playing with pieces of food, she was pondering over her words. He didn't seem to mind her pausing, he generally didn't look like he was in a rush.

“Thank you.” She looked up at him through tired eyes. Although utterly exhausted, she relied on a small smile to show that she did mean her words.

“Are you well?”

Lothiriel shook her head. “I don't think I’ll ever be well.” She answered honestly, looking up she leant her chin against her hand. “I suppose time does heal all wounds, right? Please allow me a day to recover, if you cannot spare a day then I shall either endure this, or I shall catch up with you.”

“You do not have to come.”

“I do,” Lothiriel said. “I have nowhere else to go, my home is not my home and I would like nothing more than to help you get yours back, Thorin.” She said while idly buttering another slice of bread. Taking a slow painful bite she sat mulling over her thoughts. She did however shoot Thorin a look in case he dared to contradict her words. He gave the slightest smile, which Lothiriel caught sight of. She felt a small sense of pride appear within her, she got the usually so stern faced Thorin Oakenshield to smile.

“We'll spend another day or so here, and then we shall be on our way.” He said returning back to business. “Will you be ready?”

“I'll force myself to be ready.” Their conversation didn't further much from this. Although they no longer talked, Thorin remained with her in comfortable silence. It was pleasant to be with someone who didn't mind not having a conversation, it made a change. Lothiriel did enjoy talking, but sometimes she needed silence. She needed to be with her own thoughts, and it seemed like Thorin was very much the same in this respect.

The comfortable moment broke though when Gandalf walked into the room. His steps shuffled along the ground. They both looked up at him, Lothiriel frowned and stood slowly. She passed the table, not before giving Thorin a polite nod, and then she left.

“Hm,” Gandalf reached over and poured himself a cup of water. His eyes watched as Lothiriel's form disappeared through the doorway. “Doesn't seem like she'll be in any mood to talk to me, let alone forgive me just yet.”

“No.” Thorin looked up at him, his expression was one of unwelcoming.

Gandalf frowned down at him. “And by looks of things, neither are you.”

“You led us in the wrong direction and into a place we had no prior knowledge of. You made us all endure avoidable dangers, for all of this I am angry.”

“May I ask,” Gandalf looked down at the dwarf again. “Are you mad because of this, or because I almost got Lothiriel killed?”

“Both if you must know.”

With receiving his answer Gandalf sighed heavily and sat down. “I made a mistake, Thorin. But I freely admit to that. I am deeply sorry, but I had to know.”

Thorin frowned and narrowed his blue eyes. “You wasted our time.”

Gandalf was having none of this and lost his patience again. Moments like this seemed to be happening more and more. Whether it was just Thorin who noticed, he didn't know. If the wizard was in a mood he would just have to deal with it, Thorin had firmly set his mind on the fact that he had no part to play in Gandalf losing his patience.

“You dwarves hold your grudges for way to long.” Gandalf proclaimed. “I would say you are even better at holding grudges that are not yours to hold.”

“Well that certainly is a new development.” Thorin commented. He sat silently for a few moments before looking back up. “You know why?”

“Yes.” Gandalf drunk more of his water.

“Everyone who is on this quest have now become my responsibility, I owe them whatever protection I am able to give them.”

Gandalf inclined his head, an action which bothered Thorin. “Oh, I didn't know that.”

“What did you know instead, then?”

“Oh a great deal,” Gandalf said proudly while straightening in his seat. “I take pride in my sight as well as my knowledge.” Thorin blinked slowly. “You said something along the lines of: if we have seen the signs, do you not think others would have seen them too?” Gandalf paused to finish his drink. “You see, these words could refer to something in particular or several things. However, if I have seen the signs, do you not think the others would have seen them too?”