Different Sense: 16

In his excited haste of retreat he almost stumbled into Thorin, who looked at him oddly before frowning and watching him potter off.

Lothiriel shuffled out of the foliage moments later, the butterfly who was earlier rather attached to her hair was back sitting on the same curl as it previously was. Even the bird was still perched on her shoulder.

Thorin just blinked slowly and couldn't quite decide whether to continue on his walk or to stop and talk. Lothiriel made his decision for him, “Evening, Thorin.” She said while quickly crossing her eyes to see the butterfly walk up the piece of hair.

“Good evening.” The two looked at each other for a few seconds before Lothiriel inclined her head and turned to walk away. “I wonder if I can accompany you on a walk.” It was more of a ponder than a question.

Lothiriel looked over her shoulder at him a little shock played in her eyes. Thorin moved slowly so he stood by her side. She smiled lightly, “You may wonder to your heart’s content. But you will never know a result of all this wondering unless you ask.” She said while her smile slipped. She still didn't feel like smiling yet.

Thorin leant forwards slightly, “May I walk with you?”

“You may.” She gestured to the path ahead of them. The two commenced walking in silence, Lothiriel would flinch every so often when the bird decided to hop about and its claws dug into her skin. Muttering quietly in her native tongue she pointed a finger upwards. The bird flew away as did the butterfly, Thorin looked on interestedly.

Every so often their arms would gently brush against each other, not that either of them seemed to mind or pay much attention for that matter. It was a silent, peaceful walk. One where they'd glance at each other now and again and then back to the path they were treading.

“Does spending time with nature and singing make you happy?” Thorin asked curiously.

Lothiriel looked up at him with a raised eyebrow. The question may have caught her off guard. She hadn't realized that she had had an audience.

“It seems to make you happy.” Thorin continued before she could answer. “It is a rarity to find something which can fix a smile so quickly.”

“Happy,” Lothiriel said the word thoughtfully. “You know, that word sounds so strange to me. I haven't been happy for months, if I’m to be honest.” She glanced at him, and he glanced back. “I wouldn't say that it fits really, to find happiness in the small things is a true gift and rarity.” She crossed her arms loosely.

“I'm sorry, I did not mean to-”

“No, no! You've not offended me,” Lothiriel jumped to walk in front of him backwards. “It's a good trait to be able to pick up on the slight things, I suppose in a way I am glad you asked. But to answer your question, Thorin; yes, it makes me happy.” She smiled honestly while putting her hands in her pockets and looking up at him. Her backward steps didn't falter at all, it was strange how simply she made walking an unfamiliar path seem.

“My family, and others back at Eryn Vorn, were taught to sing. It is very strange, it is one way we can communicate with the nature around us.”

“Interesting.” Thorin said in a pondering tone, he crossed his arms and gave a nod in thought. “It is but one way? What is the other?”

Lothiriel shook her head. “Maybe that is a tale for another time?” Thorin's expression slipped slightly. It seemed that he was highly expecting Lothiriel to explain all. She had other ideas though, King or not, she was not explaining the whys and what's of her kind.

“Do you add on to singing? Perhaps you start to dance?” Thorin said comically.

Lothiriel raised an eyebrow, was the dwarf in front of her actually trying to joke around? She blinked slowly and stepped beside him again. “I have a confession.” She paused and looked up at him slowly. “I can't dance.” Her honesty made Thorin let out a short laugh, his laughter made her smile and let out a quiet laugh of her own.

“Fair enough, not everyone can.”

“Can you?” Lothiriel smirked, Thorin just gave her a look which caused her to giggle quietly. It felt good to laugh, even if in her heart she did not feel like laughing.

Thorin merely rolled his eyes and stopped walking. Lothiriel quietened her laughter and put a gloved hand over her mouth to hide her grin. Her cheeks hurt from all the sudden laughter, they also slightly burned too. She was rather sure a rosy glow was present too.

Taking a step back she bowed, “Good night, Thorin Oakenshield.” She stood up straight and turned away from him. She briefly looked over her shoulder to see him walk in the direction to his room. Lothiriel gave a smile as she entered her room.

Soon being settled in a bed which was far bigger than her, she laid amongst the comfortable pillows and soft blankets. Her dreams were not of a pleasant nature, but whenever she whimpered and curled up to try and hide, something would wash over her that made her soon relax again. The 'something' strangely happened to be the confident aura which surrounded the Dwarf King. Lothiriel would settle and become calm once more when Thorin had slightly waylaid her dreams. She smiled though, she smiled because she felt a small ounce of contentment.