Different Sense: 24

Lothiriel had fallen asleep curled up next to Thorin, one of his arms was being used as a pillow, while the other was draped across her.

She hadn’t actually realized she had fallen asleep, so obviously when she slowly opened her eyes and saw the position she was in, she was naturally shocked. Her reaction, although dramatic, was to jump up and dart away from the makeshift bed she was sleeping on. Her movement woke Thorin up who looked confused before looking rather smug and proud of himself.

His blue eyes watched as she pointed from the remains of the fire, to where they were sleeping, then to Thorin and then the finger she used to point with was promptly tapped against her temple. It was quite humorous actually, to try and watch a still half asleep Lothiriel piece everything together.

Truth be told Thorin remembered the previous evening very well. After talking for hours, and after the rather spontaneous but pleasant kiss they had shared, Lothiriel had settled back down against his shoulder to sleep. At this point – because Kili was nearby – the poor sleeping dwarf got a rough kick in the leg to wake up. When he did, and went to wake Fili up too, Thorin gently turned and picked Lothiriel up.

Being of a rather selfish disposition, he didn't want to part with her and opted to settle down to sleep, holding onto her rather protectively.

He winced however when Lothiriel smacked herself on the forehead. A rather light dusting of pink was evident on her face and it was by this time – very clear – that she now remembered.

The group, who were awake and had all individually seen their sleeping position, found this moment rather funny. Kili and Fili nudged each other in the ribs with light grins, Bilbo got a rough pat on the back by Bombur, who then just left his arm around his shoulder. The poor hobbit raised an eyebrow yet didn't move.

Seeing Balin potter past Lothiriel jumped and ran after the elderly dwarf. She was opting for some distance around about now. She couldn't deal with being smirked at, it was too much. Balin slowly sat down and started to sort things out to pack away.

Once he did this he picked up some pots to commence cleaning. “Can I help?” Lothiriel asked, Balin look up and held out another cloth for her.

“Are you choosing to help me for some sort of personal space?”

“Aye.”

“Thought as much.”

“Come now, Balin!! Lothiriel smiled. “You're happy to get help really; these pots are all rather dirty.” She smiled again despite her half asleep, embarrassed state of mind. She paused to look up briefly, Thorin smiled lightly at her before turning away. She flinched and leant forward.

“...Did I do something?” She questioned confused.

Balin gave a smile. “Oh,” he said slowly. “Could say that.” He answered rather enigmatically which left Lothiriel looking at him blankly. Giving a huff she scrubbed harder at the pot she was sitting cross legged and holding.

“I don't think I’ve ever seen him smile, not like that anyway.” Lothiriel commented while walking beside Balin. She had taken a certain shine to walking with the white haired dwarf. Her words were true, every so often a small smile would be shot in her direction.

Although when it came to walking with Balin, she was in truth just following him around the camp helping with breakfast.

Handing out breakfast when it was ready, Lothiriel walked over and collapsed next to Thorin. Crossing her legs she frowned and narrowed her eyes at him, whereas he smiled lightly.

“As much as I like you smiling, it is concerning to me.” She said quietly. Perking up she looked to the group. “What?” She said simply, everyone swiftly began making excuses for their staring and commenced eating their breakfasts. 

Leaning forward she waved her spoon at him. “Are you happy?” Thorin didn't answer but gave the slightest of nods. This caused Lothiriel to grin, “It really is good to find something which can make you feel happy. It's even nicer when that 'something' is a 'someone'.” She gave a nod and started to eat her breakfast.

 ----

Being all packed up, and the remains of their camp had been destroyed, they all started their trek into the forest.

Thorin was back to his normal disposition again, hardened determination was evident as he marched on seemingly never growing tired. For many hours passed and still no one really said anything, it wasn't an awkward silence though for few comments were thrown about, but nothing ever came from them.

The thick canopy above them seemed to only grow thicker. The warm thick rays of sun which were previously shining down on them, were now getting obscured and shut out by the leaves.

“Balin?” Lothiriel asked. She was still sticking with the elderly dwarf.

“What is it, Lothiriel?” He glanced down at her quickly.

“May I ask; why I keep getting smirked at? Also; why do I keep getting subjected to pats on the back? The latter question is more from the fact that Bombur keeps patting me...but then so does Gloin...” Lothiriel looked up. “Nori and Ori just keep looking at me in a bemused fashion...what is going on with everyone?”

Balin gave a heartfelt chuckle before lazily pointing forwards. “Why don't you go ask him?” Lothiriel leant down and looked at Balin's finger before following its trail. It was typically pointing straight at Thorin.

“...Well...” Lothiriel said awkwardly while standing straight once more.

“Ah,” Balin sighed wistfully. “The awkwardness of young love.” Lothiriel looked at him with an expression close to shock. “It happens to the best of us, love, so don't you go looking so flabbergasted.”

“I'd say I look more astonished.” Lothiriel said lightly with a smile, her words caused Balin to smile at her before letting out a quiet laugh and a nod of agreement.

“I do believe; he's been meaning to tell you, but how'd that go? He got a kiss instead.”

What?!” Lothiriel exclaimed. Because of the sudden loud noise everyone looked at her. “How'd you know that?”

Balin smiled. “The hobbit,” Balin explained. “He may have been awake at the time.”

At this Lothiriel turned and narrowed her amber eyes at Bilbo. He was in earshot and let out a nervous laugh while scratching the back of his neck. “Remind me never to tell you a secret, Mr Baggins!” She said jokingly yet at the same time seriously. Getting over her moment she placed a hand on Balin's arm.

“You say he was going to tell me? How do you know of this, Balin?”

Letting out a long thoughtful sigh, Balin looked at her. “I believe as observational as you are, you are not truly observational to those around you.” Lothiriel lifted a confused eyebrow. “He gives you looks when you are not aware.” Lothiriel nodded slowly and looked down at the ground. “That and he told me.” Balin said triumphantly with a small proud smile.