Chapter 2

Tristan walked in and immediately understood why Sierra chose to go to the music room. The room was as big as the school gym and mostly sound proof. There were huge steps covered in gray carpet that stretched across the length of the room and Sierra sat at the top of those stairs looking out of one of the large windows facing south. She looked like an angel sitting there, bathed in light from the afternoon sun.

Why did I follow her in here?

Seeing her, deep in thought, obviously hurting, made Tristan realize that they were worlds apart. What did he think he was going to do? Comfort her? He barely knew her. But he wanted to know her.

He’d practically ignored her this whole year, even though their lockers were right next to each other. Make no mistake, he noticed her. It was kind of hard not to notice someone who looked like Sierra, but he never talked to her, not until he needed something. He saw the look of surprise on her face when he used her name. She thought he didn’t know her. But he did. It would surprise some people how much he knew about her. What would his friends think if they knew he watched her, thought about her? What would Jessica think?

He wasn’t interested in Sierra that way, he took his commitment with Jessica seriously. But something about Sierra always intrigued him, maybe even, enticed him. She was always so nice, even when he didn’t think he deserved it. She was nice to everyone, which was so different from the catty girls he was used to. Every time he talked to her, he always wanted to stay and spend more time with her. That’s probably why he blurted out that invitation to Regionals on Saturday. He just wanted her to be there.

Sierra always had a smile on her face and it did something to him to see her in tears like this. He couldn’t just do nothing while she stormed past him in tears, so he had the bright idea to follow her into the music room.

Now he was here, looking at her with the sun shining on her hair, illuminating her brown skin and reflecting off of her tears. He always thought she was attractive, with her pretty face, incredible body, and sweet smile, but this was different. Her sadness made her… stunning.

He stepped forward, closing the distance between them. She was so deep in thought, she didn’t notice his approach.

“Want some company?”

She jumped at the sound of his voice and he immediately felt like a creep. She obviously wasn’t expecting anyone and he felt guilty for startling her.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. I just saw you come in here and I just wanted to make sure you were okay,” he tried to explain. She closed her eyes briefly and he watched her take a calming breath. “Are you?” he continued.

“Am I what?” she asked.

“Are you okay?”

She looked at him for a brief moment.

“I came in here to be alone,” she says.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tristan was the last person Sierra expected to see. She almost jumped out of her skin when she heard his voice. What was he doing here? She saw him in her dreams every night and now she saw him all the time at school. Why couldn’t she get away from him?

She couldn’t understand why he seemed to be everywhere she looked, everywhere she was. As a matter of fact, why did he invite her to his swim meet? It’s not like they were friends. Did he know that she liked him and he was playing games? He barely even spoke to her until recently, and she was so happy to be interacting with him that she never stopped to think about the reason behind his actions. Now Reggie was mad at her and so was her best friend.