Chapter Eight : All This Love

Ajani Turner

"You want to marry my daughter?" My father questioned with a hint of anger and annoyance. I glanced at Kaine who I'd rekindled with for almost a year and a half now and he wanted to propose but figured it'd be less drama if he went to my father and asked for his permission.

"Maybe this isn't something we should talk about over thanksgiving dinner. Maybe we should say what we're thankful for" my mother explained and I looked down. I glanced at Kaine briefly who's eyes didn't leave my fathers.

"I'm thankful I'm not Ajani. Gyal is about to get slapped in five seconds, Angelo pull out your phone!" Johan said and I kicked him in the knee as hard as I could with my heel before looking at my father.

"Are you pregnant?" He questioned and I quickly shook my head no. Kaine took a sip of his wine glass as I tried to take a hold of my fathers hand but he pulled back not wanting me to touch him.

"Jah did you know about this? She's not even twenty yet and you think this is a good idea? You know how many problems we had and how I wish we would of gotten married later to stop the hurt" my father explained.

"I'm not you Jesse. I just wanna be with her and start our lives, we can't even sleep in the same bedroom when I visit once a month and you said you'd let her move to New York if I married her and that's what I plan to do" Kaine said not backing down.

"And you wanna marry him?" My father asked looking at me. I nodded my head yes slowly holding in my tears expecting him to yell or say no.

"What the ring look like?" Johan questioned and Kaine reached into his pocket and pulled it out showing my brother and the rest of the family that looked at it including my mother. She smiled small but didn't say anything.

"I'm not sure if I'm ready to send you off into the world yet" she said quietly as she got up from the table because of my younger brother Ainsley calling to her from the children's table.

"No" my father said avoiding my gaze and I pushed my tears away and got up from the table throwing my napkin down and walked away.

I didn't get out the front door before Kaine caught my arm and stopped me from walking any further. He pulled me into him and I laid my head on his chest letting tears rush out of my eyes not being able to hold them in anymore.

"I don't want to be with anybody but you for the rest of my life. It's not fair because he knows I won't get married without him and he won't even listen!" I cried loudly in anger.

Kaine's grip tightened on me and he rested his forehead on mine and pushed my tears away. Leaning down he kissed my lips before he pulled back some and let go of me all together.

"Maybe he's right. Maybe we are moving to fast and we shouldn't be together, your future husband is out there and it's not me, you'll marry some guy from here and I'll marry someone in New York" Kaine said quietly and I shoved him roughly.

"Good! I hope my husband fights for me! You don't care either you probably just wanted to sleep with me and knew I wouldn't do it with you like this!" I yelled going back into the house.

Before he could say anything I slammed the door in his face and ran into my father who had an unreadable facial expression.