Chapter 35

With anklets chiming alluringly, Nandini skipped lightly into the courtyard and idly looked around. The warm sunrays and intense scent of blossoming flowers in the air and the cluster of butterflies flitting around happily all seemed part of a conspiracy to make her feel intensely alive and joyful….but she had a sneaking suspicion she would have felt the same way even if all of these elements were missing….because at this minute no one in the whole wide world could be feeling as happy and peaceful as her….

She caressed the leaves of the holy tulsi and proceeded to inspect the other plants in the courtyard. With one thing happening after the other, she hadn't been able to devote a lot of attention to them. But any conversation with them would have to wait until she could be sure no one was around. Especially Prithvi. He had already almost caught her at it once before, and she didn't intend to let him come across her chatting with a jasmine plant once again.

But he wouldn't tease her so much now….would he….

He had been so gentle and loving yesterday night….she could hardly believe it was the same person she had known all this time….She had relived every precious moment of their encounter a million times, and yet every time the recollection of the events had stained her cheeks red and made her feel vibrant with fresh storms of love and ecstasy. She loved him so much it felt as though there was a ceaseless stinging in her chest, that tormented and comforted at the same time. She belonged to him….heart and soul….she knew it with a certainty that defied all reasonableness….

She turned towards Ayodhya. It looked absolutely peaceful from the outside, and she couldn't hear any sounds from the living room to indicate anyone's presence.

What would he be doing at this hour....Was he as lost in her thoughts as she was in his….had he experienced as sleepless a night as she had endured….

Nandini vacillated for a few moments, and then hesitantly walked to the connecting gate and traipsed into Ayodhya's courtyard. She cautiously looked in through the large window and her heart leaped.

Prithvi was there. He was sitting contently on a plush armchair with a hideously huge book in hand.

Studying.

He was studying. With a concentration that offended her more than all the insults she had endured at his hand. There were notes littered on the small table in front of him, and he was jotting down some more at intermittent periods.

Nandini looked at him in resentful amazement. There wasn't a single sign of tiredness on his face to indicate a restless night. He looked as fresh and well-rested as someone who had enjoyed a good night's sleep.

It was illogical of her to feel irritated but she genuinely wanted nothing more than to heave something at him. Here she was after a disturbed night, when she had weaved innumerable foolish but heart-warming dreams. But Mr Genius was busy with his books....or perhaps he had hidden the pics of his erstwhile flame Natasha and was admiring them to his heart's content, Nandini thought resentfully. 

She sighed and returned home.

*********************

"The telephone lines near our house were damaged and I couldn't catch a signal on my cell. Apparently, all the network lines were jammed very badly.  I tried your number all evening and even late at night, but I only got through now. Yesterday was such a horrible day."

"Did you and Vrinda reach home safely?" Nandini asked anxiously.

"Yeah, we left as soon as the principal's announcement came on the microphone. The trouble hadn't reached this part as yet. But we went crazy trying to locate you. We tried calling your home but I think the telephone lines were blocked with people trying to contact each other. Then we tried to look for Rishabh but he was also missing. Thankfully, someone had seen you both leave with Prithvi. We didn't know what to do. It was all so maddening."

"You couldn't have done anything, Nishi," Nandini said gently, sensing the guilt in her friend's tone at not being able to help Rishabh. "And anyway, Rishabh was already looking better when we left the hospital. When I called today morning, he sounded so much stronger than yesterday. I only wish we could have gone and seen him today," she sighed.

"The college had to remain closed on the one day I wanted it to be open," Nishi grumbled.

"Do you think we should call up Rishabh's mother?" Nandini asked uncertainly. "I've been thinking about it since yesterday. But I didn't want to frighten her unnecessarily when she is already handling so much."

"Hmmm….since he is already recovering well, I guess we don't need to trouble her by telling her this. By the way, how did you reach home from the hospital? Father told me there were no vehicles on the roads in the evening."

"We had to walk all the way but didn't face any problem apart from that," Nandini mumbled, flushing at the memory of the direction their walk had taken.

"I must say it was really nice of Prithvi to help you like that."

"Yes, it was," she smiled softly.

"Nandini! Could you go and wake up Prakash?" her mother's voice came from kitchen.

"Okay ma," she replied and after a few more moments of conversation, she kept down the receiver and hurried upstairs to her brother's room.

Nandini smiled at the cute bundle on the bed, and settling down by its side, she began tickling Prakash.

The sheet covers flew up and he scrambled out of her reach with an angry yell.

"Di! Let me sleep!" he shouted, and wriggled back into the sheets.

"Wake up! It's such a beautiful day. Don't waste it by sleeping all morning," she grinned.

"I don't want to go to school today," he groaned drowsily.

"You don't have to go to school today."

Prakash shot up on the bed excitedly and looked at her with disbelieving eyes. "What!"

"The whole town has shut down because of yesterday's riots."

"Really? For how many days?"

"Just for today," she laughed. "Now get up and go for your bath."

"You don't have college too?"

Nandini shook her head cheerfully. She enjoyed going to college but it was a relief she wouldn't have to do it today. The happiness sparkling inside her since yesterday would have been clearly evident on her face and she would have been ragged to death by her friends. She would have liked to go to the temple in the evening, but Sarojini had forbidden her from stepping out of the house for today. Realizing that the events of yesterday had badly scared her mother and brother, she had not uttered any protest.

"So Prithvi bhaiya will also be at home all day?" Prakash asked enthusiastically.

"Why are you asking me? How would I know? I don't know anything about him!" Nandini said rapidly with something close to panic.

"I was just asking. Why are you getting so agitated? He is right…you are just like a tear-bomb waiting to explode," he said grumpily.

"Who said that about me!" she said in infuriated surprise.

"Prithvi bhaiya, of course! Who else could think of something so funny and smart?"

"He – he said I was a tear bomb!" she spluttered.

Even in his drowsy state, Prakash tittered at the hilarity of the description.

"You find that funny? Just you wait, I'll make you revise all day today, pikku," she scolded. Her brother's strong objection was drowned by the sound of a horn and puzzled at the close-sounding noise, she got up from the bed and walked to the window.

At the gate, a cream ambassador came to a halt and her grandfather slowly disembarked from the vehicle.

"Grandpa is back!" she exclaimed delightedly.

"Ask him if he's brought any games for me," Prakash said sleepily, and snuggled under the covers again

Nandini ran out of the room and down the steps and opened the door quickly and was about to step out when something stopped her short, and she immediately moved to one side of the wall. 

Prithvi and Sumer Singh, who had evidently been out for a walk, were returning towards Ayodhya. At the sight of Bhoothnath, they changed direction and started strolling in the direction of the car.

Nandini fidgeted restlessly with her back against the door, not even realising that she was wringing her hands in nervousness. All the doubts and fears she had managed to conquer last night returned to reclaim her with renewed vigour. 

Her grandfather was very protective about her, and was extremely orthodox at heart. He was greatly fond of Prithvi, but if he even got an inkling of the storm that had already pulled her into its core….she repressed a shudder at the thought of the terrible repercussions that would follow….  

With a suddenly hammering heart, she peeked tensely around the door. Prithvi was walking towards her grandfather, while the driver moved towards the dickey of the car, and opening it, began offloading a big package.

"Hey the ghostbuster is back!" Prithvi grinned.

Nandini felt a burst of indignation and exasperation at his method of greeting her grandfather and was glad when Sumer Singh murmured some admonishment. But Bhootnath didn't seem to mind. Instead, he only beamed at them.

"Prithvi….Sumer Singh…" he nodded happily at both, and then to everyone's surprise, he walked towards Prithvi and hugged him tight.

"Thank you for bringing my granddaughter home safely," he said emotionally.

Astonished and touched by the sight, Nandini forgot her apprehensions and moved automatically from her safe spot so that her slender figure clad in pink was framed attractively in the doorway.

Praying heartily that he restrain from making another of his mocking wisecracks, she noted with affectionate amusement that Prithvi looked very ill at ease, and extraordinarily guilty. But within seconds the discomfort vanished from his face, and she knew instinctively that he was about to come up with a jibe, when, almost as if drawn by the strength of her prayers, his eyes fell on her standing in the doorway expectantly. She couldn't stop the blush that spread rapidly on her face at the caress in his gaze, but she managed to hold his eyes and looked at him pleadingly and discreetly joined her palms, urging him silently to stop instigating her grandfather needlessly. 

She knew he had understood her request perfectly from the sudden hesitation in his face, and breathed a sigh of relief. 

But then he grinned.

 "No problem, but if you really feel very strongly about it, you could pay me out of the money you fleeced out of those people."

Nandini covered her face in her hands in despair.

"Prithvi! That's enough," Sumer Singh chided. 

But to Nandini's joyful astonishment, Bhoothnath only chuckled as he released Prithvi, who instantly strode towards the back of the car to help the driver who was clearly struggling with the weight of the container. "It's alright, Sumer Singh. That's our personal fighting ground now," he said with good cheer.

Before anything else could spoil the atmosphere, Nandini hurried out the door. 

"Grandpa! Why were you so late, we were waiting for you," she complained. 

Bhoothnath spun around and smiled at her happily.

"They forced me to have a heavy breakfast before leaving. Actually, I wanted to leave from Gangadhar's house as soon as I heard of the trouble yesterday, but he didn't let me because there were reports of violence coming in. I couldn't sit peacefully for a minute until I heard your voice.... and I have cursed all of those rascals who caused this problem," he pronounced ominously. 

"That was very cruel of you….sealing the fate of those poor devils so strongly," Prithvi said ironically, smoothly lifting the box and placing it on the ground.

The driver thanked him gratefully, and then respectfully took his leave from her grandfather.

When the car had sped off, Bhoothnath waddled to the box and began to lift it.

"Leave it there!" Prithvi said angrily, and Nandini looked at him, startled. "You have company , Baba. Here's another Superman who thinks he is just out of his teens. Do you both also have a club where you can discuss your next big adventure over a weight-lifting session?"

Nandini quickly looked away to hide the warm smile on her face, as Sumer Singh laughed and Bhoothnath squirmed guiltily. "You should have known better than to do something like that when Prithvi is around, Bhoothnathji," Sumer Singh said, "Don't worry, you can go ahead into the house. He'll bring it inside."

Bhoothnath pat Prithvi on the back affectionately, and said, "Come in for a while, Sumer Singh. Let's have a chat over cups of steaming tea,"

And he began walking into the house, urging Nandini along with him, while Sumer Singh and Prithvi followed.  

***********************

"It was a wonderful occasion, I shall tell you all about it," Bhoothnath beamed, leaning back in his chair.

"Please don't," Prithvi said sincerely, and Nandini looked at him angrily as she served everyone tea.

"Prithvi, when will you learn to show some respect?" Sumer Singh said.

"I did say 'please,'" Prithvi pointed out.

As her grandfather opened his mouth, finally indignant, to evidently defend the interesting nature of his forthcoming story, Nandini quickly said, "What's in the box, grandpa?"

"Whatever it is, it better be worth all the effort I put into hauling it inside," Prithvi said resentfully.

"Errrr....I don't know what exactly is inside," Bhoothnath admitted. "Gangadhar is into the business of manufacturing brass art items and he said he wanted to give me a gift. I wanted to see it, but he didn't let me. Let us open it now and see. Nandini, bring a big pair of scissors. We'll need to cut through the knots of the ropes."

When she managed to locate the scissors and returned to the room, Prithvi had already made short work of the knots, and was lifting out a brass idol out of the ample wrapping of newspapers. He kept it on the floor and stared at it.

"Is this supposed to be art?" he frowned, standing up.

 No one replied, because everyone was trying to figure out the very same thing in their heads. Then Nandini hesitantly ventured, "I think it is a human face, but why are all the features so distorted?"

"Gangadhar had said it is the latest form of modern art," Bhoothnath said sheepishly. Just then, Sumer Singh's phone started ringing and he excused himself to take the call outside.

"This thing takes ugliness to all new levels. No wonder the smart man didn't let you see it," Prithvi grinned. "But maybe you could use it to frighten unwanted visitors."

"Prithvi, could keep it on the table, maybe it'll look better in the light," Sarojini said feebly.

As usual, Prithvi heeded her mother's words without a second's hesitation or cynical comment and picked up the object and kept it in the centre of the table.

Nandini winced at the sight. The face looked even more hideous in bright light.

"It looks even uglier in the light," Bhoothnath said with repugnance. "I think it will be best if we keep it in the room upstairs."

Nandini moved a little towards the back, wondering if its looks improved with distance. But that didn't help either and she absently pushed away an errant wisp of hair from her forehead. She had left it open after having washed it in the morning so it could dry faster, and damp tendrils of the lush black hair were idly stroking her face.

Prithvi looked at her thoughtfully, and then at the people in the room. Sarojini and Bhoothnath were busy inspecting the showpiece closely, and the latter was rhapsodizing about the eventful pooja he had conducted the previous day.

"Nandini,"

Nandini gave a start at the whisper and turned to see that Prithvi had inched his way diagonally and was presently standing right behind her, though his dark eyes were fixed straight ahead on her family members. 

Alarmed and flustered at the intimacy, she had just moved to put little more distance between them, when he softly enquired, "Can I tell you something?"

Her breath got stuck somewhere in between her chest and throat, and Nandini nodded slightly in reply. What was he going to tell her....  

"You're sure you won't mind?" he asked, edging closer until his warm breath was tickling her cheek. 

Nandini swallowed and shook her head mutely, trying to calm her thudding heart. 

"I think that face resembles yours," he murmured, thoughtfully assessing the figurine.

Aghast, Nandini turned towards and glared at his unabashed face in angry embarrassment.

 "What did you say," she hissed heatedly, careful to keep her voice very low. The phone chose that minute to ring out loudly and Sarojini hurried to the other side of the room to answer it, while Bhoothnath unsuccessfully tried to shift the sculpture on the table. 

"I am more interested in what you thought I was going to say," he confided, grinning. 

Nandini began to snap back when Bhoothnath yawned loudly and interrupted the developing argument.

"You should sleep for some time, grandpa," Nandini said, turning away from Prithvi in irritation. "You're looking exhausted."

"But I have to go to the temple," Bhootnath said tiredly.

"Not right now," Nandini said firmly, "You can open the temple in the evening. Anyway, no one is going to come out of their houses till afternoon."

He brightened. "That's right. No one is going to come for some hours at least. I'll freshen up first, and then take a nap,"

Nandini worriedly watched him retire to his room. He looked so old and tired….this wasn't the age for him to take so much responsibility stress upon himself. She and her mother had pleaded with him numerous times to hand over the temple's care to a younger person, but he had been adamant in his refusal. Had her father been alive, he wouldn't have let all this happen….but grandfather was determined to work as long as he had any strength left.

"Nandini, I need to go out for some time," Sarojini said, keeping down the receiver.

"Where are you going? It isn't safe to go anywhere right now," Nandini protested anxiously.

"I'm only going nearby….to Chawla uncle's house. Aarti called up Sharma aunty in the morning and said her father was injured in yesterday's riots. They didn't know until late night. He's alright now, but Sharma aunty said she wishes to go and check on them to see if they need any help. With the wedding so close, and so many tensions….So I said I'll go with her."

"I'll come with you too," Nandini said at once.

"No, no, there isn't any need for that. Everything is okay; I'm only going so that I can be reassured about their situation and offer our assistance." Sarojini said and then turned to the boy. 

"Prithvi, this showpiece….I know it's very heavy, but could you help us keep it in the room upstairs? It's just because I don't want father to lift it later and neither Nandini nor I will be able to help him," she said apologetically.

"Sure, I'll do it."

"Thank you so much. Nandini, show him the room on top. I'll just tell father and leave. Where is he?"

"He's gone to his room," Nandini answered, "If you do need me for anything there, you'll call, won't you?" 

"I will," Sarojini smiled. 

 "So where am I supposed to keep this epitome of ghastliness?" Prithvi asked, after her mother had left and he had dumped the figurine into the box along with the newspapers. 

"Maybe you could keep it in your heart where normal people have something called "consideration for the feelings of others", since that place is quite empty in your case," she retorted. 

"Anger improves your looks and your sense of humour?" Prithvi asked in an impressed tone. 

Fuming, she turned away and stalked away towards the stairs, not bothering to see if he was following. Once upstairs, she pushed open the doors to the musty room and finally looked around to see that he was right behind.

"You can keep it in this room," she said coolly. 

"Your grandfather was right. This junk-house is the best place for this eyesore," Prithvi reflected, striding inside and depositing the container in the middle of the room. 

Nandini wavered for a moment, then followed him inside and looked around the room indecisively. Somehow, keeping it hidden like this didn't seem right. For all that it seemed like the creator of a nightmare, it was still a gift.....

Her eyes fell on a plinth in the corner of the room and she walked towards it. It would be a decent place for the idol. She looked at Prithvi. She didn't want to ask for his help, but the statuette was too heavy for her to lift. 

"Prithvi, can you keep the piece on this platform?" she asked reluctantly.

"How does it matter where you keep it in this dungeon?" he raised his brows.

"But uncle has given it with much affection," Nandini said uncomfortably. "It doesn't feel right to keep it completely hidden."

"Affection? That intelligent man simply offloaded the most awful-looking thing in his factory on your grandfather," Prithvi said derisively.

"Are you going to help me or not?" she asked crossly.

"Suit yourself, but this is the first time I've come across art that seriously hurts the eyes. It shows absolutely no signs of any craftsmanship," Prithvi said with disgust, and picked the brass showpiece with repugnance and deposited it on the platform she had indicated.

Something suddenly stirred in her memory, and Nandini looked at him curiously as he returned towards the empty container. Of course….he would know a lot more about it than many others…He was extremely skilled at sculpting himself, she remembered with a start, recalling the breathtaking perfection of the small marble figurines Sumer Singh had shown her. Should she ask him about that....no, not today…she had already rained enough questions on him yesterday….and it was a miracle that they hadn't aggravated his temper.

Prithvi picked up the crumpled newspapers from the floor and dumped it into the box, and then abruptly stilled. Scowling, he uncurled the edges of one of the newspapers, and furious eyes swiftly scanned through the small news item. The annoyance on his face suddenly transformed into anger, and in a flash, he ripped off the corner and straightened up, simultaneously crumpling the paper in his fist.

At the sudden sound of ripping, Nandini stopped trying to scrutinise the sculpture for some sign of skill and looked around to see a piece of paper disappearing into the pocket of his jeans.

"What was that sound? Did something tear?" she asked, puzzled.

"Nothing that concerns you. I'm going back home if you don't have any other errands to dump on me," he retorted, and Nandini felt bewildered at the unexpected roughness in his voice, and the livid shade of red on his face.

"Why are you angry all of a sudden?" she asked uncertainly.

"I'm not angry," he said impatiently, "I just need to go home and finish an assignment."

Nandini turned away desolately, before the disappointment that had inundated her  showed on her translucent face. His only thoughts were about his work and studies and everything on this earth…..everything, except her.

"Okay…you can go back home and drown in your books and forget all about me until you need another amusing distraction," she muttered.

"What the hell are you expecting from me?" he demanded with irritation. "That I stand and starve under your window, composing stupid poems for you?"

 "Do you really think I'm as immature as that?" she asked in quiet disbelief, swinging to face him. "I only -," she stopped and breathed deeply to control her temper. "Forget I said anything. You can go and finish your assignment. I have some studies to do myself," she continued calmly, and returned towards the monstrosity on the plinth and decided instantly that she would go to her room and start studying for the final exams scheduled for next month. And she absolutely would not think about him at all through the rest of the day. 

Having made up her mind, she swung around only to collide with a rock-solid form. Gasping in surprise, Nandini almost lost her balance, but in the next instant strong arms braced her and before she even knew what had happened, she was tugged forward and locked in a snug embrace. Frozen with shock, she struggled for a minute to find her voice. 

"What are you doing?" she squeaked at last, turning wonderfully scarlet. 

"I shouldn't have said that," he murmured, his voice sounding muffled because it was buried in the side of her neck. 

Nandini squeezed her eyes shut and tried to smother the bizarre battle of delight and panic building inside her. Then a clear image of her grandfather, mother or Prakash wandering into the room to look for her took shape in her mind......and panic won. 

"Its okay, no problem at all! Now let me go!" she said quickly, not knowing whether to laugh or cry at the time and place he had chosen to suddenly change his attitude. 

"But I haven't compensated as yet for what I said," he insisted, thankfully lifting his head and looking down at her flushed face with very solemn eyes.

"Prithvi, the door is wide open," she exclaimed, terrified. "If anyone walks in -"

"Good point, I'll go and lock it," Prithvi agreed enthusiastically.

"No! Don't!" She yelped and clutched his shoulders to prevent him from going, even while helplessly wondering which would be the worst case scenario – that someone open the door and see them locked in an embrace. Or that someone find the door locked and knock on it, and remain standing outside until she and Prithvi came out together, giving rise to the most terrible form of speculation. No….there was no winner there….either ways she would prefer to end her life rather than face her family….

"Prithvi, let go of me! If anyone sees us – don't you realize what hell could break loose?" she reasoned desperately.

"And your plan of turning red every time I look at you is completely foolproof, I have to admit," Prithvi mocked.

Her face flamed with colour at humiliation at the unexpected taunt. "I can't help that," she whispered, mortified. "But if ma or grandpa even get suspicious…..especially grandpa…..He'll evict you and your family from the house forever," she pleaded again, pushing futilely against his shoulders.

"That is true. But it's okay. I'll give up my studies, park myself outside your house in a tent and write poetry praising your pumpkin-sized eyes," he said heroically.

At the ridiculousness of the future he had conjured, Nandini stopped trying to get away and burst into soft laughter. Prithvi grinned at the sweet animation on her dazzling features, and to her wonder and amazement, he leaned forward and rubbed his nose gently against hers. The heartbreakingly tender gesture put an abrupt stop to her giggles, and her heart melted with love. 

Then forcing herself to think about the terrible perils of being discovered like this, and gathering all the remnants of her determination, she tried to bring a modicum of strictness on her face. 

"Prithvi, if you don't listen to me and let me go I'll -"

"Do what? Scream down the house?" he countered arrogantly.

Nandini gaped at him in vexation ....but he was right….she couldn't really do anything….except….

"I may not be able to do that, but I can definitely stop talking to you, and I won't ever meet you again too," she rejoined angrily, tugging at the hands around her waist.

"That's a very serious threat you're making," he drawled. "And I have a feeling even if I do let you go now, you're angry enough not to meet me again in the near future. So I think I should make the most of this opportunity," he mulled solemnly.

"What do you mean?" she asked warily, and gasped as he bent his head to hers.

"I'll come!" she said hastily, arching away. 

He paused and smiled. "Smart girl."

Feeling increasingly infuriated at the way she was being manipulated, Nandini resolutely added, "But you have to promise you won't try to – try to -"

"Try to what?" he asked innocently.

Nandini stopped fidgeting and looked daggers at him. "That you won't try to do what you were trying to do now."

"I won't do anything you won't like," he said gallantly.

"That promise does not meet my condition," she snapped.

"Didn't think you'd be smart enough to figure that out," Prithvi murmured and when her eyes flashed again, gloomily added, "Alright, I'll stand 10 feet away from you. Happy?"

"You'll also answer any question I ask…. without getting angry," she said frostily, certain that this would be the best way to make him change his mind.

"Fine,"

Nandini blinked in astonishment. The content and promptness of the answer had been totally unexpected. She realized he was waiting for her to impose new conditions and not able to think of more objections, she pulled her bashful eyes away from his expectant gaze and nodded silently in defeat.

He immediately let her go and stepped away. "That was very enjoyable. Made up for all the load carrying I did today," he confessed and smugly strode out the room. 

Seething, she followed him downstairs and waited at the door till he was on the other side of the boundary wall.

"Prithvi," she called out.

He turned around inquisitively.

"Did I mistakenly agree to meet you later? I actually meant to say that there is absolutely no way I'll be doing that," she refuted sweetly, and felt very satisfied at the way his expression hardened into granite.

"You can't go back on your word. I won't let you," Prithvi said grimly.

"What will you do? Complain to my grandfather that I'm not willing to meet you in secret?" she chuckled impishly, challenge sparkling in her beautiful eyes.

"I wouldn't think twice before doing that," he warned mildly, and Nandini suddenly felt discomfited. Would he really dare to pull that stunt.....surely not.....

"You won't do it," she said with false bravado, trying not to show her genuine misgivings.

"I can, but I won't need to. There is a far more easier route," he shrugged.

And then he smiled rakishly and strode away, and Nandini wondered dismally if she had unleashed something far more potent that she could handle.

***********************

 The king derisively studied the small but motley collection of people sitting around the lunch table along with him, stuffing themselves with the rich food with varying expressions. Greed, boredom, laziness....every face told a different story....

Apart from the royal blood in their veins, not one....not one single one of them had any qualification to sit anywhere in his vicinity. Drunks….gamblers….good-for-nothings. Not a single one worth an ounce of trust. Which was why he had set the rule long ago that all of them should be huddled on the opposite side of the table when they sat for meals, as far away from him as possible. 

"Manohar"

The man standing by his side bent slightly. "Yes, your majesty."

"Do you think he would seen the article by now?"

Manohar hesitated before answering, and tried to gauge the mood of the deceptively frail old man. It was important to know if the king was in the frame of mind to hear frank opinions or if he simply wanted to hear an affirmation of his hope. Instinct told him the latter held true.

"I am convinced he would have, your majesty," he said soothingly. "After all, the news has appeared in almost all the major newspapers of this country."

"But many of them gave more import to nonsensical articles about accidents and disasters involving commoners, and this crucial piece was relegated to the back of the newspaper. How does it matter if commoners die? What use were they to anyone?" the king said furiously.  "Has society deteriorated to this extent that people can no longer distinguish between what is important and what's not?"

"It is alright, your majesty. I am still confident he would have seen it. And if not him, at least the blackguard he lives with or his friends would have noticed it."

"Hmmm.....this is an audacious course that I have taken....but if it helps me get my grandson back, I will not regret an instant of it," the old man said inaudibly.

Manohar remained silent, not daring to voice his reservations.

Regaining control of the uncharacteristically emotional drift of his thoughts, the king stiffened and his raspy voice crackled out a command.

"Manohar, summon Rajeshwari to the golden hall in an hour."

*****************