Chapter 39

"Dinner will be ready in 10 minutes, my lord," Sumer Singh said, as he watched Prithvi open the lids of random vessels inquisitively in the kitchen.

"That fatso has already been moaning for an hour. He'll probably die if it takes longer than that," Prithvi paused. "On second thought, take all the time you need."

"I heard him shouting a while back. Did he annoy you about something?"

"He interrupted me when I was in the middle of something," Prithvi said darkly.  "And so I had to settle the score with him."

"I have told him a hundred times not to yell like that. I hope your work wasn't completely wasted."

Prithvi grinned, "I can always take it up again. Actually, I'm looking forward to restarting."

Sumer Singh looked inquisitively at Prithvi as he began to leave. The lad was looking very pleased about something. Perhaps it would be a good time to approach the topic he had been putting off since morning.

"My lord, I received a message from your father's uncle today," he said tensely.

Prithvi paused at the door, and Sumer Singh's apprehensions rose as he sensed the light-heartedness draining out of the boy.

"60 years of alcohol and drugs and he's still alive?" Prithvi contemplated, turning around at the door with cold eyes. "That man is a symbol of hope for all generations." 

Sumer Singh couldn't help but smile. Adityaraj's uncle had been the black sheep of the family, and had been the main reason for their name being splashed across all newspapers during his youth....for all the wrong reasons. But the confirmed bachelor had also doted on Adityaraj, and had been a pillar of support for his nephew at crucial junctures in life.

"What did he want?" Prithvi asked briefly, interrupting the sudden gush of memories.

"He has been very unwell for a long time, but his condition has deteriorated in the past month. Yesterday, his old attendant called me up and said -," Sumer Singh faltered, "- said that he has once again expressed a wish to see you."

 "You know perfectly well that I don't want to -"

"I know you don't wish to have any kind of relationship with the family," Sumer Singh said, quickly cutting across the sharp reaction. "And that is why even though he had asked me several times in the past, I had managed to put him off. But now...since he is so ill....I didn't have the heart to refuse outright."

When no response came his way instantly, feeling more hopeful, Sumer Singh pressed on ahead, "You don't have to decide right away, my lord."

Prithvi remained silent for some more moments, and then nodded and curtly said, "I'll think about it."

*********************