Chapter Twenty-Seven

- - -

            "Not today, Satan."

            Somehow, someway, Rico had managed to get hold of a second gun.  The barrel stuck out discretely from the pocket of his hoodie; the gunshot still echoed through the night air as Michael Luciano dropped to the concrete, clutching his bleeding arm.  A string of colorful words slipped past his lips, causing Federico to smile.

            Liam and I were already scrambling out the car, preparing to approach the two.  I rounded the car and joined Liam at his side as we stayed hidden, watching from a short distance as the scene continued to play out in front of us. 

            Rico rests the gun he shot Michael with, back into his pocket, before placing his sung lasses back on the bridge of his nose and pushing them up on his face.  He, then, takes a step forward, before squatting down beside Michael's body.  The older man was still writing in pain on the ground, blood covering his own hand as it seeped out the gunshot wound in his arm.

            "Nobody, and I mean nobody, has ever, beaten me at my own game, Michael," Federico leans forward, taking the loaded gun out of his pocket.  "This, was your gun," He reaches out, dragging the empty gun to his side and picking it up, "This, was my gun."  Rico smiles once again, "Why don't you take your amateur ass back to the streets you came from, before I kill you."

            This was Liam and I's cue.  I followed behind Luciano closely; a little hesitant as I took each and every step closer.  Federico pulled himself up, taking a step back and turning to Liam.  I can see Luciano nod in a respectful manner as Rico takes a few more steps back, allowing Liam to stand where he once stood; right above Michael's body. 

            I angled my body towards Rico; and the look I was giving him must've caught his attention, because his head turns in my direction.  It was impossible to see his eyes; so as I looked up at him, all I could see were streetlights and my faint reflection in his dark sunglasses.  His lips were attempting to pull themselves into a smile, but I knew the expression that I held on my face caused his attempt to fall short.

            "You could've gotten hurt," I breathe out.  My heart was still hammering against my ribcage and my fingers still felt numb due to the grip I had on Liam's thigh.  If you looked close enough, you could even see my hands shaking – slightly, but they were still shaking.

            Federico twists his head sideways, a slow smile growing on his face.  His lips part, revealing the same show stopping smile I had seen many times.  "Were you...were you worried about me?"

            Psh.

            "Barely."

            "You care about me,"

            "Hah."

            "You do!" Rico giggles, causing my own smile to appear on my face.  He attempts to nudge me with his shoulder, but because of our height difference, his bicep pushes me a bit to the right.  "Aw! Faith, I knew our relationship would progress!"

            I scoff before turning to face Michael and Liam.  Yet, in the back of my head, I couldn't help but see the personality change Rico had just shown; not even two minutes ago, he was a cold-hearted killer, and now, he was teasing me. 

            Liam turns around the face us, but his attention was solely on Federico.  Behind him, I could see Michael dragging himself to his feet; his un-injured arm was wrapped tightly around his other's forearm, where the bullet had protruded his skin.  Blood was seeping through his clothes, his hand increasingly being covered in it as the seconds ticked away.  Luciano points at Rico.