chapter sixteen

// okay, last chapter I was thanking you guys for 13k and NOW IM ON 18K WTF THANK YOU //

dan

Now that he knows of his mother's affair, it haunts him everywhere.

He can't stop thinking of it, and it tears him apart each time it does. He hears it in the creak of bed springs, in the click of the front door lock, in the soft moans which drift to Dan's ears from downstairs.

Dan can't even so much as look at his mother or father now.

On the plus side, he's a lot more comfortable in his friendship group. He's out a lot with them to distract himself - none of them really know Dan though, not his darkest secrets. Dan sighs, part of him knows now that he has to let Phil go.

It's probably for the best.

School is over in two days, meaning that he only has two days left where he has a class with Phil. Two days. If Phil moves away after he finishes school, Dan may never see him again. Dan may never see a face again.

"Hey Dan!" Pj greets him when he walks into school, "I can't believe school is over in two days! This year has gone wickedly fast! I'm going to miss Zoe and Louise so much though. Not as much as Alfie though."

Dan laughs as he and Pj look sideways to where Alfie has his arms looped around Zoe. Louise walks over to Dan and Pj, smiling happily.

"Ah, the final year is done. Exams are over, I just need to get my mark. I just hope it's good!" Louise says, "and of course, I'll miss all you nerds."

Dan smiles. "Just because I am a nerd doesn't mean that it's okay to call me one."

"There's nothing wrong with being a nerd. That's why I love you," Louise laughs, "you are a giant nerd though, literally, you're like, six foot easy."

"Yeah, that's me, the giant, awkward nerd," Dan says, rolling his eyes, "I guess I may miss you."

"Aw thanks Dan," Louise laughs, turning her head to Pj, "you'll miss me though, right Peej? After all, I'm your best and only friend!"

"Hmm..." Pj says jokingly.

"Wow, such great friends I made at school," Louise laughs, "maybe I'm glad to be leaving all you losers behind."

"We are morally offended," Pj says, laughing.

As Pj and Louise continue to bicker back and forth, Dan finds himself searching the grounds for the one face he can usually see, and he's soon disappointed when he can't see Phil and his crystal blue eyes anywhere. But then Dan reminds himself that after today and tomorrow, he may never see those eyes again.

And that thought brings a pang of sadness in Dan's heart, however that is just a feeling Dan has learnt to live with.

When he gets home from school that afternoon, he is relived to find that his mother isn't home, however, he can see that his Dad's car is here. Which is odd, because he's supposed to be away on a business trip.

Dan slowly walks inside his house, quietly closing the door behind him. He hears a shuffle from the office downstairs, and heads towards it. Dan places his hand on the door handle, hesitating slightly before he twists it and pushes the door open.

"What the-" his father stammers as the door swings open and he sees his son standing in the doorway, frozen and shocked.

Dan turns and runs back out the door before his father can stop him.