Chapter 17

Ramlah

"Ramlah?"

"Hmm...ya" I responded absent-mindedly as I was sorting out my beauty products at the dresser.

Fahd had just come out of the shower and was getting ready to go out somewhere. It was nearing noon.

"Here I want you to take this."

I turned around inquisitively and saw him extending several €50 bills my way. My eyebrows creased, "What is this?" I asked not accepting the money.

He rubbed the back of his neck, "I never realised you don't have money and you are always going out shopping with Mom. Why didn't you ask me?"

I was dumbfounded. "I...I...I.. don't know" I said lamely.

"Well here take this," thrusting the money in my hand. "Look if you ever want anything all you have to do is ask. And I will do my best to fulfil your needs."

My eyebrows rose, what happened to him?

"Are you sure?" I asked sceptically.

He stepped in front of me, holding my arms in both his hands, his thumbs tenderly caressing my arms, he said, "Of course I am sure. Why would I not be? You are my wife Ramlah, my responsibility." He lightly squeezed my arms.

I looked into his eyes and saw sincerity, "Thank you" I whispered fisting the money in my hand.

He smiled in response and released my arms, "Come on put the money away and I am hungry."

I nodded, "just give me a minute."

****

"I am glad you could come Ramlah. I thought not to disturb this past month as you are newlywed" Sana said stirring sugar and milk in the tea cup.

"I am happy to be here too. It's been long." I grinned taking the tea cup from her.

I felt uncomfortable as her penetrating gaze scrutinized me.

"What's the matter Ramlah? You have lost weight and you don't seem.... Happy."

I averted her gaze and muffled, "I am fine."

She took my hands in hers and clasped them caringly, "You can tell me. Maybe I can help."

I lowered my lashes I wanted to talk to someone. My emotions had been bottled up too long. Before I knew it, tears dribbled down my face. Immediately, Sana embraced me. Now that the tears started, it seemed a floodgate had opened. I sobbed hard, shoulders shaking and lips quivering.

When finally I ceased my weeping, I felt embarrassed. I moved away from Sana's arms, "I am so sorry, I shouldn't have cried like that." I said with a teary smile.

"Nonsense, I am your friend and a sister Ramlah. I had told you before and I will tell you now I am always here for you." She reprimanded fondly. "Now tell me please" she urged me with pleading eyes.

"It's Fahd." I whispered

She nodded silently encouraging me. Then I told her everything. I didn't hold back anything. I wanted a sincere advice. This relationship was slowly killing me. I wanted peace and I had hoped Sana may be able to help me. After quietly listening to everything I had to say she said,

"Look Ramlah you are in a difficult situation. It seems Fahd does understand where he is wrong. The main problem is his drinking issue. In any relationship communication is the key to success. I know you are afraid, but you need to know what he is thinking and he has to know your thoughts. How will you spend the rest of your lives together? In the beginning with Saad, it was very awkward but as we started sharing our thoughts we grew closer."