17

The storekeeper's daughter gazes at Steve intently, watching his every move. I start to feel uncomfortable and tense up. She eventually has the urge to waddle over to us in her seven inch heels.
"Hello, sir. Would you like my assistance?" she asks in a sweet voice, unlike her normal one.
Steve reluctantly nods, glancing at me for help. He picks up a random blazer, trying to play along. However, the girl doesn't want to be a part of the production.
"So, where are you from?" she asks, in her now more obvious British accent.
"U-United States." Steve says nervously.
"Land of the free, hmm?" she asks again, walking closer to him.
"Y-Yes."
"I like all-American boys." she says seductively, not even acknowledging my existence.
Steve laughs nervously, stepping away from the lady. My blood starts to boil. I seize Steve's hand, trying to make it seem as if we were together. That doesn't work. She steps closer, and closer, and closer.
I rest my head on Steve's shoulder, again, trying to play with her mind. She finally gets the picture.
"Oh, a-are you two-" she asks.
"Yes," I state, romantically interwinding my fingers with Steve's.
"Humph," she grunts, and she goes behind the desk.
     I lift my head and I walk Steve to behind the same dresses as before. As soon as we are both behind them, I release his hand and start to apologize profusely.
     "Steve, I'm so sorry. That's the only thing I could think of. I'm sorry." I say quietly.
     "Tori," he whispers. "Thank you."
     I smile and I hear a door open. I peer around the dresses and see Claudia's mother rushing to an empty display with a stack of clothes in her hands. Steve and I walk in the other direction from her, to the scarves. Surprisingly, a few scarves catch my eye - a green one, a black one, and a dark gray one. I hold them up to get Steve's opinion.
     "Disguises?" he mouths.
     I nod vigorously and put the black scarf around his neck. He stands with it on and I put on the dark gray one. He smiles and adjusts mine while I adjust his.
     "What about other ones?" he asks. "Just in case."
     I hear his shield move behind him, which he has done a great job of concealing. I take off our scarves and grab two black ones. I stroll to the storekeeper and examine the new clothing.
     "Cloaks," she says, putting another on top of a stack.
     "They're beautiful," I say, hatching an idea. "What colors?"
     "Black, gray, dark gray, green, and many others."
     "We'll take a black one and a dark gray one."
     "Ah, great," she says. "Which sizes-"
     A loud swooshing sound overtakes the building. Steve and I snap our heads up to see what had happened. Nothing.
     "It happens everyday," the storekeeper says. "I suppose it comes from that building right there."
     I gaze out the window, seeing the H.Y.D.R.A. base.
     "From there?" I ask.
     "Yes, indeed," she says. "I am suspicious about that building. Large planes come in all the time and no one knows why. I would love to get my hands on them and show them what they have done for years on end."
     "Do you know anything else about that building?" I quickly question her.
     "No," she sighs. "Nothing useful. They are always on very high alert and the landing station is not safe. People can just walk in."
     "Thank you!" I exclaim. "Now, we will buy these things."
     I carefully take a larger black cloak that might be Steve's size and a dark gray cloak that is my size and I hand the clothing to the woman. Steve pulls out his wallet and hands it to me, not wanting to move the shield. I open the brown leather wallet and gaze at its contents. The first thing that I see is a photo. I slowly make out the people in it - Steve, Tony, Bruce, Clint, Natasha, and me. I smile at the photograph that was taken last night, remembering that wonderful night. Behind the photo, I see Steve's driver's license peering around the photo. There are multiple things in the multiple flaps, but I ignore them. I pull out the new pounds that Tony had given him.
     "Thank you," the storekeeper says after I give her the money. "Oh, and because I want to be honest with you two lovelies, it is so nice to hear Americans' voices again."
     Steve and I smile at the lady and she waddles to her cash register and hands me our change.
     "Thank you, lovelies, and have a great day!"