Chapter 18

Cali's POV

When his mom told me to leave, the first thing I did was look at him. Waiting... waiting for him to do something... anything about it. But why? Why had I expected him to say something? And when he didn't, why on earth was I disappointed? Did I want him to speak up? To defend me? To tell me to stay by his side? To not listen to his mother? I must be crazy. Something must be wrong with me. The fact that I was thinking, even considering, being in a relationship with someone like Christian was something that I had no right to do.

I slapped myself on my forehead to wake myself up from this insane fantasy and continued walking down the sidewalk.

"Wilson!"

I stopped, frozen in place. There was only one person I knew who called me like that. Could it possibly be him? I tried to hold in my curiosity, but I just couldn't. The urge to know was just too strong. I had to take a look and see if my guess was right. I slowly spun around and I felt a spark of hope when I saw that it was indeed him. He was jogging towards me. He was coming back for me. No, he wasn't. Yes, he was. NO. YES. The conflict of emotions inside me made me so confused. What should I do? Wait for him or turn back around and go? Oh whatever let's just keep walking Cali. If he really did come back for you, he'll stop you from walking any further. Yeah.. yeah good plan.

Not long after following my plan to keep walking, the sound of footsteps got louder and closer. Christian caught up to me. He ran past of me and stopped right in front of me, blocking my path.

"Why didn't you stop when I called you?" he asked. "I know you heard me. I even saw you turn around."

"Oh! Was that you? I thought you were calling someone else. Last time I checked, my first name was Cali, not Wilson."

"Cali."

"Yes?" I said innocently.

"Where are you going?" he asked. "You don't have anywhere to go."

"That's my problem, not yours."

"No. It is my problem because it looks to me like someone doesn't want to take responsibility for losing a bet."

"I didn't lose the bet."

"Oh yes, you did. The moment you stepped out of my apartment, you signed yourself up as the loser."

"But-" I opened my mouth to argue when he stopped me.

"No buts. Accept the reality that you, Cali, lost and that now you have to spend the rest of the day with me."

Before I could even argue with him, he grabbed onto my wrist and pulled me back toward his apartment complex.

"Are we going back to your apartment?" I asked nervously as he dragged me forward.

I sighed in relief when he shook his head. "Nope."

"Then where are you bringing me?"

He looked at me and flashed a mysterious smile. "It's a surprise." Wait, did he just smile? Wow, I can't believe this. This was so unusual, he never smiled. Well, I've never seen it before and now that I've seen it, I can see how nice it was. His teeth were white and straight. He had dimples on each cheek. If only he wasn't so rude and arrogant. I would've fallen in love with that smile.

We reached his black Porsche and he opened the passenger seat door then gestured for me to go in. He shut the door behind me and brought my suitcase over to the back of the car to put it in the trunk. Once that was done, I thought he was going to go in the car himself, but instead, he ran off.