#3

"This science project will count for 25% of your end of year exam. I will be picking your partners"

I gulped, silently praying to whatever higher power there was, that I wouldn't to have to work with someone I didn't know. My ability to make friends easily was scarily useless.

"Vik and Kayleigh."

Tobi, sat in the seat next to me chuckled and punched Vik in the arm playfully. I giggled a little when Vik blushed lobster red and sat next to my roommate, the girl with dark hair that tumbled around her shoulders, I smiled faintly as Vik sat next to her and began to fix his hair desperately.

"Tobi and Mia."

"Willow and Josh."

I stopped giggling. This was not happening. If looks could kill, I would be dead right now as the hazel-eyed boy was glaring at me. Of course, I would be put with the quietly dangerous and feared, Josh.

Simon was sitting directly behind Josh, surveying the scene with an unreadable expression. His eyes flicked over to me, curiously watching how I would respond. I simply got my things and walked over to the spare seat next to Josh, sitting down and keeping my gaze firmly away from anyone.

Turning around to face Josh, I saw he was also watching me.

"Just don't expect me to buy friendship bracelets for us, or anything." He smirked, brushing a lock of his chestnut hair out of his eyes.

I cleared my throat, looking away. He made me feel stupid and small and I hated that but there was nothing I could do about it.

The scowl didn't leave his face the whole way through the lesson. At least he didn't say anything to me. I was so happy when the bell finally  went and I jumped up, happily returning to my friends.

Tobi glared at Josh and put his arm around me protectively. I sank into his touch, feeling grateful for the good guy that he was.

"Come on, I'm starving." I whined, steering Tobi towards the door. He allowed me to and broke his dirty look battle with Josh in the process.

-

"Oh I have a free period next!" I realised, excitedly.

"Yeah we all do,want to go into town?" Vik asked, looking around.

"Sure." I agreed "I need some clothes anyway."

"Ugh, same." Kayleigh said knowingly.

We went back to our dorms to drop out stuff and I grabbed a denim jacket to throw on because it was getting cold. I fiddled with the hem a little, suddenly remembering my mother bought this for me. I was so homesick in this big city.

"Penny for your thoughts." Kayleigh smiled, tilting her head in concern.

I shook my head, smiling. "Let's go."

"I'm still starving." I whined. We had been walking around for ages, I'd bought some clothes and a couple of house plants for my dorm, I was incredibly excited because they reminded me of the ones I have at home,

It was getting quite dark out and we needed to be back in school grounds by 9:00pm latest.

"Wanna grab some nandos?" Tobi suggested, putting his arm around my shoulders. I nodded and snuggled into him. We both knew it was a platonic gesture, Tobi was starting to become like the brother I had never had.

Vik and Kayleigh were walking slightly ahead and seemed to be in a world of their own. I nudged Tobi and pointed at them and he grinned, letting out a low whistle.

"Hey lovebirds-" I shouted "-we want food!"

They turned and stopped walking so we could catch up. I could see Kayleigh looked really flushed and Vik was smiling stupidly.

"Let's go." Vik said and we headed to Nandos.

-

We were on our way back to school and as I checked my phone, sunset was soon. I had a weird thing where I would always go out to watch the sunset on my roof at home. I used to do it with my dad before he left us, he said I always need to reflect at the end of the day.

I didn't exactly want to share this with my friends because it was quite personal to me. So when we said goodnight and went back to our dorms I snuck out once Kayleigh went in the shower.

I wandered around until I came across a stairway that took me to a large balcony. I swung my legs over the edge and propped my head up with my elbows as I watched the sky fade into a soft pink and orange colour.

It was very serene sitting there and I closed my eyes to contemplate my school life so far. I had made some really good friends and I was doing well in classes. However, Simon Minter was still nagging at my mind. I was usually good at reading people but he didn't let anything slip.

As the sun dropped lower into the sky I dropped back onto the platform and made my way down the stairs.

Pulling a thin hoodie and some pyjama shorts on, I slipped into bed and closed my eyes.