Chapter 3

Soo, here's Chapter 3! :) I'm warning you though, this chapter may be a little wierd 0.o , so bear with me!

Chapter 3

I was walking down the city streets again. It was pitch black outside, and I was a foot or two shorter. One of my hands was engulfed in a bigger one. I looked up to see my mom smiling down at me. Twisting my head to the other side, I saw my dad smiling down at me. They weren't sweet, loving smiles, though. They had a kind of eerie edge to them. Nevertheless, I went on, my hand in my mom's, skipping down the dimly lit city street.

I had the sudden craving for candy, and so I tugged and tugged on my mom's hand, and wordlessly told her what I wanted. My free hand was engulfed in a larger, rougher one, as my dad took hold of it. Together, my parents pulled me to a cotton candy stand that stood, lonely, on the sidewalk.

There was a strange looking man behind the stand. He had rainbow hair that kind of looked like cotton candy. I giggled to myself: The man with cotton candy hair works at a cotton candy stand. He had rosy, flushed cheeks and a round red button nose. I had the sudden urge to reach out with my little hand and squeeze it, but I held myself back. That wouldn't be very nice. My mommy had always taught me to keep my hands to myself.

The cotton-candy-haired man stepped out from behind the stand, picked me up in his arms, and twirled me around. I still giggled at how funny his face looked. He was wearing mommy's lipstick. Hah, stupid cotton-candy-haired old man. Lipstick is for girls, not boys.

Suddenly, the arms around me disappeared. I cried out in pain as my legs gave out from underneath me, one leg twisting as I fell on it at an awkward angle. My hand reached out to cover my mouth, my hazel eyes were wide. Did that cotton-candy-haired man hear what I said about him? Is he mad at me? No no no, that can't be. I have to fix it.

I was still sitting on the cold pavement of the city sidewalk, so I lightly touched the cotton-candy-haired man's calf in order to get his attention.  Who wears neon shoes that big and shiny anymore? I thought, as I noticed the cotton-candy-haired man's shoes.

My eyes trailed upward toward his weird-looking face, and met cold, grey eyes of steel. The pupils had turned into narrow slits, much like the eye of a cat. Does the cotton-candy-haired man have nine lives, then? The catlike eyes were glaring at me, but they were also looking at me like I was some kind of food. Does this mean I'm a mouse? I reached my hand up to touch my upper lip, but thankfully, only felt skin. Out of the cotton-candy-haired man's lipstick stained lips darted a cherry red, pointy, serpent-like tongue. The serpent tongue rotated a full three hundred and sixty degrees, licking his lips slowly, like he was already planning on how to devour me.

I yelped and jumped back, hoping to land in the comfort of my parent's bodies, but I found none. I fell through air, landing on my elbows roughly and scraping them. The moment I saw the pinkish blood stain on the beige sidewalk, my head felt lightheaded. This crazy cotton-candy-haired man was towering over me, making me feel like the scared little child that I was. But I didn't like that.

I squared my shoulders, scrunched my eyebrows , and folded my arms, looking up at him angrily. "Who do you think you are, mister?" The question came out soundless, but the cotton-candy-haired man laughed anyway.

It was not a sweet, melodic laugh that I was so used to. No, it was a monstrous, ravenous, hellish laugh—no, I shouldn't say the "h" word; it's a bad word and mommy told me never to say bad words. Mommy's not here right now. Hellish! Hellish! The laugh was hellish! It was so evil that it made my insides shudder, even though I knew that my insides were not built with ears.

            I watched in awe as the cotton-candy-haired man suddenly transformed before my very eyes. He lost his rainbow colored hair, and his shiny nose, and his cherry lipstick, and his giant shoes. All of that was replaced with black—layers and layers of black. He had grown taller, if that was even possible, and now partially blended in with the night. His pale face held a sinister look.

            I was suddenly tossed to the side by an invisible force. My head hit the rocky sidewalk and my already bloody elbows scraped painfully against the sidewalk again.  But I forgot about the pain for a second, as I directed my attention to scene that was beginning to unfold only a short distance away. The scary cotton-candy-haired man-turned-devil stood tall, intimidating, facing both of my parents. My parents! They were here! They hadn't left me after all!

            My joy suddenly diminished when I realized my mother was crying silent tears, her face was all puffed up. What's wrong? Why is Mommy crying?

            My dad had a solemn expression on his face. All three—my mom, my dad, and the devil man—turned to look at me. My parents both mouthed three words to me: I love you. I let them know that I loved them too as best as I could. The devil, however, looked at me with an evil glint in his red, bloodshot eyes. It scared me.

            Suddenly, flashes of light came out of nowhere, from all different directions, all directed toward my parents. With a loud Boom! their bodies began to jerk and spazz. The smell of burning flesh took over my senses, as tears streamed down my face.

            Then, my parents were gone. Poof. Just like that. As if they hadn't just been baking on the city sidewalk in the crisp night breeze. The evil man turned to me; he began walking toward me.

            I did all I could do at that moment: scream.

***

            A soft scream tore through my lips as my eyes snapped open and I jolted upright in my bed. I thought I saw a shadow in the corner of my room—a tall, dark figure. I blinked and it disappeared. It must've just been my imagination.

            I lay awake in my bed, wide eyed and afraid, for the rest of the night. 

-----------------

If you liked it, please comment and vote! I'd really appreciate it :)