Chapter 3

The following day, Cameron was asked to see Nate in his office. She sighed, thinking that it was probably about some old monotone task he wanted her to do or complete.
She rose from her chair and smoothened her skirt, then walked to his office.

This time Nate was standing by the huge glass windows, staring out at the city, with his hands tucked in his pocket, which only seemed to make his pants more snugly fitted, therefore emphasizing the muscular limbs of his legs and his sexy ass.

Cameron cleared her throat "Sir, you asked to see me", she stated.
He spun around, a smug look on his face.

"I have a proposition for you" he began smoothly, walking towards his desk.

Cameron cocked a brow, wondering what that might entail. "What kind?", she asked curiously.

Nate moved towards his desk and took a seat, using his hand to gesture for her to do the same. Cameron sat and crossed her legs at the ankle, her hands in her lap, and her posture ramrod straight.

He sighed as he began. "Next weekend is my family's reunion", he began, expecting her to react, but she didn't. "I told them I would be arriving with a fiancée".

Cameron raised a perfectly arched brow, her interest piqued by the news.

A ghost of a smile played on Nate's mouth. "Now, the thing is...I have none", he stated drily.

Cameron smirked. "Well, well, someone's in trouble', she exclaimed mockingly.

Nate's lips tugged in a slow smile "Not if you can help".

She shifted in her chair "How so?."

"I want you to pretend to be my fiancée", he blurted huskily, after which clearing his throat.

Cameron snorted. "You're a funny man...sir", she quickly added.

"I'm serious", Nate pointed out tightly. The smile on Cameron's face waned when she realized he was indeed serious.

"So, you're telling me you couldn't find someone suitable from the list of women I often see you with?", she questioned him.

Nate squared his shoulders. "Yes", he admitted unhesitatingly.

There was silence.

"But of course, I wouldn't just be wasting your time. I would pay you", he informed, in his most business-like manner, one he used to make and finalize deals.

A slow smile crossed Cameron's face "How much are we talking?", she asked, starry-eyed by the mention of money.

"How much do you want?", he challenged with a devilish smile, easing back in his chair.

Cameron licked her lips and cleared her throat "I want double what you pay me".

"Done", he confirmed, without blinking.

Was that too little? Cameron thought to herself.

"But, there are some rules", he said thickly, thinking that this was going to be the fun part.

"What rules?", she asked curiously, not liking that tiny bit of information.

He leaned forward. "No sex with any of my family members, and if you ruin the plan, you won't get paid", he said, smiling wickedly.

Cameron cocked a brow and smiled. "What about sex with you?", she challenged smoothly.

The smile vanished from Nate's face as he stiffened. "That's out of the question, and I'm serious", he scowled, although he had to admit, a tiny part of him found the prospect enticing.

She laughed softly. "So", she said as she slugged in the chair. "Where's my ring?", she provided a one-sided smile.

"So you're in?", he asked in surprise.

She grinned. "With a deal like that, how could I not be?", she exclaimed then glared at him intently, curiosity getting the better of her. "So, why me by the way? My reputation may ruin your plan", she taunted, gently tapping her fingers on her leg.

"I don't think your reputation stretches to Pennsylvania", he mocked.

"Pennsylvania?", she asked, shocked.

"That's where the reunion is, and half my family lives there", he informed.

"Oh, that's cool".

"I want to meet you for dinner sometime this week to discuss some things you'll have to know about me"

"No need, I'll just grab a magazine, when next I go shopping", she grinned.

Nate chuckled lightly. "We'll talk about your life then", he retorted.

Cameron stiffened. "I don't discuss my personal life", she whispered harshly.

Nate's brows were drawn in curiosity. "I'll have to know something", he insisted.

Cameron glared at him with narrowed dark eyes. "What's there to know?", she snapped "Name's Cameron Crawford, I'm twenty-seven and I work for you; end of life history", she completed heatedly.

"What about your parents?', Nate asked ruefully.

"Dead", she stated blankly, her eyes going cold "Are we done?, I'd like to get back to work", she quipped.

Nate glared at her, his eyes scrutinizing. "Yes you may go", he said.
Cameron quickly rose from the chair and dashed out of the office.

Nate sat, glaring at the empty spot that Cameron had earlier occupied. Something was up with the woman. He had seen how she stiffened at the mention of her personal life. She had a past, and although Nate knew that everyone had one, he had a feeling that Cameron's was troubled. The reunion was an opportunity he planned on taking to find out more about her life. Maybe something in her past made her the way she was today.

___________________________________
If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote.  feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

❤☺