Chapter 38

Exams were over, and Elizabeth and Tom were feeling the relief hit them like tidal waves. In fact, Elizabeth's entire education was over. She could finally have the baby and continue living a normal life.

"Tom, please don't worry about me too much," Elizabeth said with a slight smile. "Turns out, if you prolong the pregnancy, the baby has to be born straight after the potions and spells are lifted."

"What?" Tom asked, astonished. It was the first he'd heard of it. "Well, I... I have to be there. You keep me sane, Miss Marin."

Elizabeth giggled, but Tom's mind was somewhere else. He pulled a small, velvet box out of his pocket and got down in front of Elizabeth on one knee - they were in the Slytherin common room, and they were the only ones left to leave forever. The place where they'd met, the place where Tom's sanity had become possible - it was perfect.

"Would you allow me to call you Mrs Riddle?"

"Y-yes!" Elizabeth squealed, getting on her knees so that she could throw her arms around Tom's neck. He hugged her with pure ecstasy before pulling away and pressing his lips to hers ever so gently.

"I've got to go, now," Elizabeth whispered quietly into her ear, "I'll be back soon."

Tom laid back on the sofa of the common room. His eyes shut instantly, his body exhausted from the amount of physical energy he'd been putting into protecting Elizabeth. He'd been keeping an especially close watch on those he used to call his followers.

He drifted into a gentle sleep only to be woken up a few hours later.

"Professor Dumbledore?" He said quizzically, his voice husky with sleep as he looked up and spotted two blue eyes staring down at him.

"Tom, I'm afraid that I don't come with good news."

"What?" Tom asked, sitting up instantly. "It's Elizabeth, isn't it? Professor!"

"Miss Marin is in critical condition, Tom."

"What? What do you mean?"

"She's at risk of dying, Tom. We believe that making a Horcrux might help her, but she's barely in the state to kill anyone. Besides, you know we don't allow such-"

"Professor, she can't die. She can't. You know what'll happen to me! I'll destroy myself, I'll destroy all of us! I bet you know, don't you? You know exactly what I'm capable of."

"You know, Tom, I once deemed you as a boy who made all the wrong choices. I believe that you're making the right one," Dumbledore said wistfully as he stared at the crackling fireplace.

"Hurry, Professor. How long does she have?"

"Not very long," Dumbledore managed to say as he apparated away in an instant, leaving Tom in a pool of darkness. Seconds later, he reappeared with a raggedy looking man covered in dirt and blood. "Do not question me, Tom."

Almost instantly, they were at Elizabeth's bedside. The procedures were done, and soon enough, Elizabeth had split her soul. She shot up, coughing. The matron walked over with a crying baby in her arms and Tom felt tears prick at his eyes.

"Elizabeth, you're alive."

"I... I killed a man."

"But you saved your own life and the baby's."

"I... I did?" Elizabeth questioned as the matron presented the baby to her, softly placing the baby girl into Elizabeth's arms. She cradled her instantly.

"Aria," Elizabeth mumbled, "She looks like an Aria."

Tom smiled. In that moment, he wouldn't have cared what Elizabeth wanted to call their child because he had everything he wanted, right there in front of him. He'd been healed of every single craving to kill, every single desperate wish for power. He was free, and he was loved.

A/N: Right, well. I wasn't really sure where to end this story, but I believe this is a fairly good point to stop it. I do apologise. I hadn't been updating regularly and I take this as a personal sign that the story is coming to an end. I'm pretty content with this ending. Thank you to everyone who has read this and who will in the future. Every read, vote and comment makes my day. Honest.

Would anybody be interested in a epilogue? I could certainly do that. Again, thank you, and let me know if you would like an epilogue in the comments.