Chapter 22.1: The Masquerade (Part 2)

Andrew was true to his word, the world seeming to fade into nothing but the two of us as we danced. He joked as we ran through a courante and I couldn't resist throwing my head back in laughter. He asked me again whether I was hungry between another set of dances, ignoring the wall of debutantes that appeared around us as he led me from the floor back to the buffet table. Inquisitive stares followed us around the room, but Andrew never left my side.

I'd never had so much fun in my entire life.

"Have you ever danced this one before?" he asked, as the musicians primed for a polka, a court dance that my Hargrove dancing mistress had only recently started teaching. I'd had a few lessons, but I wasn't as familiar with it as the other court dances. Apparently it was all the rage in Prague and Paris, so it was only a matter of time before it became well known in Highcastle.

"Once or twice," I said, Andrew's lopsided grin appearing as he led me back to the dance floor.

"Then follow my lead," he said, "And pray we don't trample anyone,"

I laughed as the music started. The dance floor had cleared out, most of the older nobles choosing to sit out a dance they weren't as familiar with. Andrew led me through the rapid, skipping steps, turning us around and around as we wove our way across the nearly vacant dance floor. He steered us around a flustered Sarah Thornbury, whose dancing partner, William Weatherington, clearly had no idea how to dance the polka. The two turned a tight circle in the middle of the floor, she looking wistfully on as the rest of us twirled around her. Ashley and Dorian Fletcher whirled on ahead of us, her livid gaze still fixed on me.

But I didn't care. I was having far too much fun to care about her or any of the other debutantes for that matter. Until, inevitably, fate stepped in.

"If I may be so bold as to cut in?"

James interrupted what must have been nearly two hours of time with Andrew. When he spoke, however, the world suddenly snapped back into focus and I realized that there were indeed a plethora of other people in the room besides me and my prince. I forgot for a moment that I was pretending to be a stranger when James took my hand in greeting. I almost pulled it away before I remembered myself.

"Lavinia, this is Lord James Amberly, one of my closest friends," Andrew said, his smile never wavering, "And this is Lavinia Fortescue,"

"Enchanted to meet you," James said, smiling down at me for the first time in weeks. I did my best not to gulp and shatter my facade, so I forced a smile and curtseyed instead. Lavinia would have no reason to dislike James Amberly.

"You can have her for one dance," Andrew said, clapping James on the shoulder, "Or I'll make sure I monopolize your lady love all night as punishment,"

James laughed, but I didn't miss the tension that sprang taught between them as Andrew bowed to Ella, asking her for a dance. My eyes jumped between the prince and the lord, wondering whether James had guessed at Andrew's plan.

"So you've made the crossing to attend our Midsummer ball," James said, as the music started.

"I have, Lord Amberly," I said, hoping with all my might that my accent wouldn't slip. It was incredibly strange to hear him sounding so friendly, considering our last few interactions had been decidedly antagonistic.

"How fortunate that you'd already been instructed in the steps of the polka, I wasn't aware it had made it across to America yet," he continued. I blinked before I forced another airy smile onto my face.

"Oh I've been in Europe for quite some time, I've seen it danced in Paris," I lied, giving an airy shrug.

"How convenient. Tell me, where exactly are you from in America?" James continued, "It's such an impressively large country,"

"It is, isn't it?" I smiled as I desperately racked my brain, trying to remember where Edith was from, "I'm from Philadelphia,"

"And how was your crossing? I've heard they can be quite eventful," James said. I couldn't shake the feeling that this was an interrogation instead of a pleasant conversation.

"It was thoroughly uneventful," I replied, keeping the smile on my face as I looked away. Andrew winked at me as he waltzed past with Ella, who was watching nervously as I danced with James.

"Who else is here with you?" James asked. I wondered how much longer until this inquisition of a dance would end.

"I'm here with family," I said, "But enough about me, you seem awfully young to be a lord,"

"Yes, that is the consensus," James chuckled, "My father passed three years ago and my mother passed when I was young. I was the sole heir so the title reverted to me. Thankfully being here at court has taught me much about what is expected of me,"

"The prince called you his closest friend," I offered. James nodded, but his smile vanished.

"I've known him my whole life, ever since we went to school together," James said, shooting a look over towards Andrew and Ella, "He is like a brother to me,"

"And yet something has you troubled," I prodded. Edith was always nosy, so I decided that perhaps it was an American thing I could get away with thanks to my disguise.

"Oh it's nothing, courtly business and that sort of thing," James said dismissively.

"It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that rather remarkable angel would it?" I asked, adopting a sly grin.

"No, more to do with her cousin," James said, his eyes snapping to me as the ice crept back into his tone.

"Her cousin?" I asked, realizing too late that my accent had faltered from surprise at his mention of me.

"That is a remarkable necklace, Miss Fortescue," James said, ignoring my question. I glanced down at the sapphire and pink diamond necklace in surprise.

"Oh this? It's a family piece," I said quickly, forcing an airy laugh. But James had gone rigid.

"Indeed," he said, as the dance drew to a close. I blinked a few times to clear my head before smiling and curtseying at him.

"I wish you a pleasant evening," I said, rising. But James still wasn't smiling. Andrew appeared at his side with Ella, who was still watching me with a guarded look.

"I must say, Lady Canterbury is a remarkable dancer," Andrew said jovially, "You are a lucky man, James,"

James turned unsmiling eyes to the prince.

"And you are igniting the ire of several powerful families," James said, his smile stiff, "As charming as your special guest is, you should remember that families like the Mayfairs and the Thornburys will be crucial allies in the future,"

"Must we really bring up politics on such a lovely night?" Andrew asked, his smile not reaching his glacial eyes as he stared down his friend.

"Keep your head about you," James hissed, before shooting me a glare, "And you'd best enjoy your night, Lady Treeclimber. It's a terrible shame it's your last with us,"

My heart stopped.

James led Ella away as she whispered, "Treeclimber? Is that her name?"

"He knows," I whispered, the pit in my stomach roaring open as bile rose into my throat.

"Never mind him," Andrew grumbled, seizing my hand, "Let's get some air,"

My feet moved of their own accord as I watched James lean down to whisper something to Ella. I waited for her to whirl around to face me, with rage and betrayal in her eyes, but she didn't. Instead she threw her head back in a laugh and James' expression softened. 

But not before he shot a menacing glare to where Andrew was tugging me along, out of the ballroom and towards the terrace.