Chapter 34- Draco's Birthday

Draco couldn't stop himself from checking the Gryffindor table every few minutes during breakfast on the morning before their departure for summer. It was a Saturday, exams were done and classes were over. The halls were filled with giddy students excited for summer and thankful that Umbridge was gone. People ate breakfast outside and played games in the courtyard, careless and free.

Draco wore a frown as Pansy and Blaise shoved several packages towards him, all wrapped in shiny paper.

"Happy birthday," Blaise said. Draco gave a small smile back and ripped open the first and smallest box. "We though you might be needing it soon."

It looked like a normal jewelry box containing a ring or a necklace or something of the sort, but when he opened it, he instantly blushed at the sight of a small silver package with the outline of a ring bulging out. Blaise snorted and Draco couldn't help but laugh, too. He closed the box quickly and hid it under the table. "A condom? You're unbelievable."

Pansy blinked innocently. "What, we just want you to be protected if you get into any promiscuous situations with someone near and dear to you."

"Aren't there's spells for that?"

"You can never be too careful, could always double up," Blaise winked. "Just in case."

"Isn't worrying about unwanted pregnancy what straight people do?" Draco whispered so no one else could hear.

"You still need to be safe," Blaise laughed, and Pansy gave her gift to him.

"Let me guess, handcuffs?"

They all laughed. It wasn't anything as scandalous as a condom, but rather a new scarf he'd been eyeing at a small shop in Hogsmede, which he was thankful for, but there was something missing. There wasn't a fuzzy feeling he usually got when getting presents, no high, no pure enjoyment. He didn't feel special. And it wasn't that he wasn't, or that his friends did a bad job, it was that he didn't want anything. Not really.

It was the first time in his life that the physical gifts, the materialistic items, didn't bring him any joy whatsoever. He stared at them vacantly, and then back at the Gryffindors.

"You don't like it," Pansy asked.

"No, it's not that at all." Draco shifted his gaze from Granger, who was quietly eating, an empty spot where Harry should have been next to them. She barely nibbled before turning to Weasley and speaking low in his ear. Draco wasn't very good at lip reading, but he definitely saw the word "Harry" mouthed. She then stood and grabbed a plate of toast, leaving.

Draco stood, not even looking at Pansy. "I'll be back."

He followed her out of the corridor and up several staircases until he reached her.

"Granger." She stopped and spun on her heal.

"Malfoy."

"How is he? Not the fluffy version. Reality."

She herself had dark circles around her eyes. "Not well."

"Can I see him?"

"It's up to him. He won't leave his bed, he always tells us to go away. He won't talk to anyone about anything. He wants to be alone." She paused. "But then again, he always said that on Fridays, when you two hang out. His definition of 'alone' might be different than mine."

"Which means he wants to see me." Draco grew animated, almost excited. "Please. It's been days. And then I won't see him for months."

She took a deep breath and they continued up the stairs. Draco had to keep his distance though, whenever anyone walked by. After looking over their shoulders, they arrived at the Fat Lady's portrait.