Big Changes? No Thanks

I left work, still considerably grumpy with what had happened with Ace earlier. Everything he did was so aggravating! Why couldn't he be like Zac- at least he straight up told you what he wanted or what his looks meant. Zac didn't randomly grab me after a fight and intensely stare into my eyes. I let out a short scream and kicked an abandoned coke can, sending it flying down the pavement.

"Hey! Where's the fire?"

I turned round to see Lee, of all people, smiling at me. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. If she was smiling... that had to mean she wasn't jealous of mine and Cam's faux relationship. Oh my god, I realized, were they dating now? I wondered how I could ask her without giving stuff away which Cam had not yet revealed.

"Sorry, just guy problems," I rolled my eyes and smiled nervously at her, "How about you? Any guy problems?"

She laughed and reached up to scratch her head, some bangles jingling down her wrist, "yes. I think you know all about it though."

"How so?" I said playing it innocent. Damn it, my power of improvisation was amazing. I should've been an actress, I thought sarcastically.

"Cam knocked on my door at midnight. He smelt of French fries and of your perfume, so as usual, I assumed the worst. I tried to slam the door in his face but he forced his way inside. And then he was kissing me and telling me that he loved me and it was..." Lee broke off and bit her lip, smiling at me.

I knew I was a sentimental, sappy fool but she looked so happy that I felt tears prickling behind my eyes. I walked over to her, clutching her tiny body to me. I really, really felt like Cam and Lee were owed every bit of their happiness. It was so great to see that finally, finally they had found their way to each other.

"I'm so happy!" she cried out, throwing up her arms and laughing.

In all honesty, you could see it radiate off her face. Her cheeks were bright, her dark eyes were lit up and her lips were still plump from all the kissing I presumed had taken place. I shook my head, remembering the first time I saw Cam with lipstick marks trailing down his torso and into his underwear. You'd have thought the guys would have at least removed the evidence of their sexual exploits when opening the door, but oh no. I loved them anyway though. Part of their charm really.

"I want you to know that I could never have gotten in the way between you and Cam. He loves you more than you know," I smiled.

"Thank you, Serena," she told me sincerely, and then looked at me seriously, "you deserve what we have. I hope you find it."

I pressed my mouth into a thin line and sighed a little, "I can only hope."

***

I was grocery shopping with Zac. He kept on trying to sneak cookies into the cart like he Always tried to but I'd figured out a way to stop him every time. Because of this, he was sulking in the cart and chewing up his lip, texting Jane. I fished the Phone out of his hands and scrolled through the texts, laughing.

"'Babe, I miss you so much. I want to see you :(((( xxx'," I read loudly and Zac turned bright red.