Chapter 4

I walked into the main hall of the Unova Pokémon League. As I climbed up to my position, I suppressed a flood of tears as the memories of that eventful day came back to me. The day I became a Pokémon champion.

Concentrate Touko, I told myself, this is not the time for flashbacks!

But as I waited for Unova's Elite Four to enter the room, my mind (against all of my resistances) drifted back to that eventful day.

Start of flashback

"Alder!" Cheren ran foward, towards Unova's Champion, or so I'd thought.

"Is over," he said, looking at the pokeball in his hand, "he won."

Meanwhile, I had been looking at the young man with green hair and eyes, who stood away from us. He stared back.

"I'm not champion anymore," Alder said in an ashamed tone, "N is."

At this, N turned to Alder and said, "yes, I am. Now Team Plasma may liberate Pokemon from the cruel hands of humans."

As he finished saying those words, the ground began to shake violently. At first, I thought an earthquake had started, but then I noticed the building. Or should I say palace. It was rising out of the ground behind the Pokemon League.

"It is time," N said, "for me, as Unova's Champion, to save all Pokemon." With one last glance at me (filled with pain?) he began to turn around, towards the palace.

"No," a voice sliced through the tension-filled air. It took me a second to realise I had said that.

"Touko will stop you," Cheren said, backing me up.

"And how will she do that?" N said in an unfathomable tone, refusing to look back.

"She has defeated the Elite Four and will now battle the Champion for the title."

"Who so happens to be you, N." He finally looked at me as I hissed his nickname.

Did I imagine it or did pain flash through his eyes for a second? "Very well then," he said, "I will meet you at the top room," he gestured to the palace behind him, "there we should battle for the title of Unova's League Champion, Hero of Truth."

Without another word, he turned and walked up the path that connected the Champion's room to the palace.

End of flashback

"Are you alright?"

I looked up to see Shauntal, the ghost expert of the Elite Four, peering at me in worry.

"Yes I am. Thank you for asking," I said, fighting to conjure up a smile. I failed.

"Ok, well," she said, still looking at me in worry, "should I show you to the Champion's room?"

"I thought I was supposed to meet the other Elite Four members first."

"Yes, you were, but we have news that a challenger is on its way through Victory Road right now, so we have to all be ready."

I stood up with shaky legs and followed Shauntel out of the room. She was leading me to even more flashbacks.

Get yourself together Touko! You are a Champion now and you have a responsibility to carry out your job correctly!

I sighed mentally at my conscious, but also stood up straighter.

Touko, you can do this! No flashbacks, ok? No flashbacks!

Shauntel led me into an ancient looking room, filled with pillars, which was scented with millions of years of history.

She smiled at me one last time and rushed out the room, presumably to get ready for the challenger.

And that's when the flashback resumed.

Picture on side/at the top: Unova Pokemon League Building (centre) and N's Castle (around the centre)

Author's note

Hi everyone....

I'm so sorry! I should have updated sooner, but I had major writer's block for this story. To be honest, I didn't know if I wanted to continue writing this story anymore. I just didn't know what to do with it anymore.

And then I saw the amount of views it had.

To some people 76 views doesn't seem a lot. But to me? That's huge. To only have 3 chapters and a prologue, yet to already have so many views... Wow. Thank you all so much. You have inspired and encouraged me to keep writing this story.

As well, just a quick warning that I will be posting more chapters as flashbacks for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading!

Katherine
xxxxxxxxx