The Shoe Didn't Fit (short #2)

Her breathing became short and staggered. Then, she bent over the bucket and hurled for what seemed like the thousandth time that day. Her nurse stood by her and rubbed her back gently.

"Your highness, based on what I am seeing here, you are not ill as you thought you were. Your majesty, you are with child!" The nurse beamed.

Then with a knowing look she said, "Believe me, I would know. Little Lucinda is all grown up with a child of her own now."

"P-please, I beg of you. Call me Cinderella. None of this 'your majesty' business. And, are you sure? I am with child?" The child bearing woman spoke.

"I am sure of it." The nurse smiled kindly. "Congratulations."

Cinderella began to cry tears of joy. She had dreamt of this moment for so long! All of her dreams were coming true. Just a few months ago, she had moved in with Prince Charming after the shoe fit. She lived in the castle at last! And now, now she was going to have a child!

"I must tell Charming at once." Cinderella stood up only to vomit all over the floor.

"My dear! You are in no condition to be walking. This will all stop at around twelve o'clock noon. It's only morning sickness. I shall make you some tea, and call the prince to your quarters."

Cinderella smiled gratefully at her nurse.
______________________________________________

A knock came at the door.

"Come in!" Cinderella replied.

"My love, why are you in bed like so? Are you ill?" The prince took long strides to her bed and clasped her hands, kissing her gently.

In a hurry, Cinderella pulled back and beamed. Cinderella did not notice, but the prince masked a scowl on his face that revealed itself for a fraction of a second.

"My love, no! I am not ill, but we have been blessed with a great boon. We- we are with child!" Tears of utter joy poured down the princess's face.

Now, there was no hiding the scowl that appeared on the prince's face. "What?" He snarled.

Cinderella's face morphed into one of confusion. Why was he so angry?

"You ungrateful little servant girl. I have given you everything you ever dreamed of. A bed, clothes, freedom. I gave you love."

Now, Cinderella was truly confused. Then, the words that had come out of the prince's mouth hit her like a ton of bricks. "You call this love? If you truly loved me, you would understand me. And still, you think of me as a servant girl? And to think I thought it was love at first sight. I was clearly wrong."

"Are you joking? You will never be anything other than a servant girl, stop pretending to be a princess. The only reason I chose you at the ball that night was because of father. It was only ever for him."

"Char, what is so wrong with having a family? An heir? You need one regardless." Cinderella was becoming tired of yelling.

"A family? Cinderella, I never wanted a family. Only a wife, because I couldn't possibly become king without one. As for my successor? I'll just use the wand to make myself younger again."

Cinderella's eyes widened. How did he know about the wand? Had he done anything to her fairy godmother? Her eyes began to well up at the mere thought.

    "What, you think I didn't know of your, 'bippety boppety boo?' Nonsense?" I've been watching you, servant girl. I know of your secrets. And whatever the cost may be, you will never have a child. Believe me when I say that. Guards, take her to the dungeons. Goodbye, Cinderella. It was nice to know you."

She was taken away, crying and flailing for her life and her child's. The last thing she saw before being taken into the dungeons was the ginormous grandfather clock. At that moment, the clock's hands struck twelve. The ringing filled her ears. She knew. There was no one to save her now.