Chapter 9 - A New Addition

*Trigger warning: Sexual assault lightly mentioned/discussed in this chapter*

We were five minutes into the car ride home and the encounter with Rage was long forgotten. Slate and I found ourselves sitting comfortably in the car playing the question game, it just started raining outside and watched the raindrops chase each other down the windshield as I waited for Slate to ask me a question.

"Why did you lie to the guy about your brother being in New York?" Slate asked, his question catching me by surprise. How did he know I lied? I knew for a fact that I was a skilled liar, I always made sure not to look to up to the right or to fidget.

"How did you know?" I asked realizing that he already knew and denying it wouldn't do anything.

"You ran your finger over your ear piercing, I know it's your tell because you did the same thing that first night we met when you said you had to leave after that guy interrupted us." Slate said a confident smirk on his lips. I nodded my head realizing he was right, I'd never bothered to stop doing it because it was so discrete and I never thought anyone would notice it but apparently Slate was one perceptive motherf*cker.

"I lied to Mason about my brother because according to my parents, no one is supposed to know where he actually is." I said and Slate nodded in understanding and I was relieved he didn't ask me to elaborate.

"How many girls have you slept with?" I asked wanting to change the subject as quickly as possible.

"Pass." Slate responded quickly, keeping his eyes locked on the road.

"You can't do that." I said exasperatedly.

"Why not?"

"We're not playing with passes."

"Now we are."

"Oh my gosh, just answer the question, it can't be that bad." I said and he groaned before mumbling "Maybe like 40..."

"Forty!?" I asked wondering if I'd heard him wrong.

"Probably closer to 50 actually." He said looking like he was in deep thought and I noticed he was trying to count on his fingers.

"I can't believe you don't even know." I said looking at him in astonishment and he gave me a guilty smile. Before he had the chance to defend himself I felt my phone start vibrating in my pocket and I pulled it out and answered it as soon as I saw Cherry's name on the screen.

"Hey, whats up?" I asked casually.

"I need to see you." She said her voice coming out like a whimper.

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked my heart picking up speed in my chest. I could see Slate giving me a curious look but I didn't make eye contact with him.

"I'm okay. Please come to Jackson's house." She said, her voice pleading.

"Sure, I'll be there soon." I answered not wanting to say anything more than that because I knew Slate was listening and I knew he wouldn't be happy if he knew I was going to Jackson's house. I hung up the phone and spoke before Slate had the chance to question me.

"Can you drop me off at the club? I need to go see Cherry." I said and he gave me a suspicious look but nodded 'yes' anyways. The next ten minutes were silent, I was worried about Cherry and my mind kept jumping to horrible conclusions about why she was crying. Slate didn't try and make conversation either and I was incredibly thankful, I think he knew my mind was elsewhere since I'd ended the call. He pulled up to the club and I looked out of the window noticing it had stopped raining.