One

All rights go to original author.

__________________________________________________________________

"Oh, Lauren, I got your seat all wet."

I glance away from the windshield to find Camila pouting at me, her lower lip thrust out to the point of devouring the upper. She's twisted backward, eying the black seat with a severe frown and eyebrows tugged down like arrows. Her hair is matted, chocolate strands stuck in swirls to her cheeks and neck and the red of her dress has darkened with the rain. I smile reassuringly, reaching across the seat to pat her damp knee.

"It's fine, Camila. No big deal." I twist back for a moment, watching the road for a moment before turning around. "How are you doing back there, Shawn?"

The dark-haired boy grins, raising a single thumb. "I'm all good. Thanks for the ride. It just isn't my night, man - my tires are flat, and my suit is all wet. Jeez."

"No problem." I turn back, guiding us through the streets. I'm still so giddy, electricity buzzing in my veins. So the prom didn't go exactly according to plan, but things rarely do, right? Especially when I'm involved, and super especially if Dinah is involved. I can't muffle the smug smile on my face, leaning on one hand with my elbow braced on the edge of the car door. Take that, Wicked Witch.

Shawn lives way in the town over, but I'm still so hyper from the dance, I knew that I would just go home and stare at the ceiling anyway. Might as well try to tire myself out with some driving. Shawn and Camila chat happily as I drive, humming to the music. I listen as he directs me through the streets, pulling into his slanted driveway at last. He gushes about a thousand more 'thank you's' before he waves at us, disappearing into the dark house.

"So?" Grinning at my ebony-haired companion, I pull out of his driveway, heading back to the main road that will take us to Miami. Camila doesn't answer and I take another look at her, nudging her bare arm with my elbow. "Camila?"

"Hm?" She turns, brown eyes glittering.

"He's cute." I give an indicating nod backward.

"Shawn?"

"No, the other guy I drove home."

"There was another guy here?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "Sarcasm, Camila. Yes, Shawn. He's really cute, isn't he?"

A faint smile pulls at her lips as she faces away from me, russet eyes lowering to her fumbling hands on her knees. My smile slips away. I don't think I've ever seen Camila serious before. The girl is always so light and breezy, a carefree and playful wind compared to all of the storms that are constantly surrounding her. I duck my head slightly, watching the road while trying to catch her eyes. "Camila?"

"He is cute," she says, but her lips are tugging downward.

I furrow my brow. "But?"

She shrugs, lean shoulders shifting. Her dress is strapless and a lot of skin is exposed that I've never really seen before. She's tan, her collarbones thick and prominent as they curve across her chest like creamy valleys. Black lashes fall across her cheeks, wet spider legs, fluttering as she twists toward the window. Lights blur past her.

"But I didn't get a kiss." Lines crease her forehead. "Everyone got a prom night kiss. Zayn got a ton of them, and Dinah and Normani-"

"Dinah and Normani kissed?"

" - and I even saw the weird homeless looking guy kiss Bea." Camila sinks into the seat, her damp hair starting to dry at the roots and raising like loose red threads. "She punched him in the mouth, but still." She sighs, head falling back, and I'm distracted by the slope of her white throat - so much so that I'm nearly in the other lane by the time I jerk my attention back to the road.