nineteen

jack's pov

after doing about three hours worth of work, i suddenly remember that kehlani is still stuck in the elevator. oh fuck. what if she's claustrophobic.

"shit!" i shout, bouncing up from my seat and sprinting from my office to the main area of the floor.

i dart my way through the halls and employees and i go into the control room. i wanted to mess with her because i thought it'd be funny, but i forgot. i didn't mean for it to go on for this long.

i turn off and on the elevator switches and the red light turns green. that means the elevators started up again. wasting no time at all, i dash back out.

"slow down there." i hear a feminine voice.

"not now, alexa." i shake my head, continuing onward.

what if she's dead already?! she couldn't have died yet. it's only been three hours. the worse that could probably happen would be her fainting, which is not good either.

"why are you in such a rush?" i hear alexa again, her hand touching my arm.

as tempting as she is, i have much bigger priorities at the moment.

"an employee is stuck in an elevator." i tell her.

a sinister smile takes over her pink lips, "oh... right. i heard about that." she innocently tilts her head to the side.

i fight the urge to pound the fuck out of her and shake her off before i lose control. kehlani. that's who i should be focusing on right now.

i press the up down button and wait for the doors open. when it does, i see kehlani curled into a little ball. her head rests on her purse and her eyes are shut. i can hear soft breathing behind the the piano music.

good. she's not harmed or dead. i don't know why i even thought she was dead. my lips curl into a slight smile as i watch her. people begin to gather around me.

kehlani's pov

"oh, this is gold." i hear someone obnoxiously laugh, causing me to squint my eyes open.

jack is staring at me with a smug smile and his arms crossed. i look around to see a huddle of people gathered around he elevator. i sit up, yawning as i do so.

"how long have i been asleep for?" i ask jack and his smile grows bigger.

what's so funny? i'm not drooling. i probably just look high as hell.

"three hours." he bluntly replies and my eyes shoot wide open.

he left me in here for three damn hours?!

"you're the reincarnated satan. i hate you." i snap, snatching my phone and bag up from the floor.

i storm out of the elevator, pushing past the annoying and curious people. he let me stay in there for three hours? what if i was claustrophobic or had a panic attack? would it still be funny to him.

"kehlani, wait up." jack's laughing voice says behind me, but i continue to walk, taking the stairwell.

his large hand grabs my wrist firmly, pulling me back and turning around. i narrow my eyes at him, hoping me he knows that i am mad as hell.

"fire her." i spit through my gritted teeth. "i will not come back to work until she is gone. she's got it in for me and it's because of you." i point an accusing finger to my chest.

"whoa." he says, still arrogantly smiling. "it's funny when you're mad."

"fuck you." i mutter, ripping my wrist from his grasp.

as i make my way down the stairs, i bump into blake. he has a shocked expression on his face and places his hands on my shoulders to steady me. i am so out of it right now.

"did you just get out of the elevator?" his mouth his agape and i nod. "what a fucker."

"he must've thought it would be funny to leave me in there, but it's all good." i shrug. "i took a nap after my phone died."

"your phone died? that's why you weren't answering my calls." he lets out a breathy laugh.

"yeah... maybe we can go out to dinner?" i ask him.

"or we can go to lunch now." he shoves his hands into his pockets. "it's only 1:30 and i bet you're probably hungry."

i nod, "okay." i give him a small smile. "we can go to lunch. what about olivia and johnson?"

"they can tag along too." he tells me.

we both begin to walk to where olivia is to pick her up and then johnson. i most likely look like a mess right now, due to me sleeping on an elevator floor, but oh well. there's no one to impress and i don't really think blake cares about how i look.

"i hate alexa for stopping the elevator." i mutter.

"the new secretary? she's nice."

"why does everyone keep saying that?!" i throw my hands up, exasperated. "she's a devil."

blake chuckles, shaking his head. olivia spots us and struts towards us. she whistles through her teeth when she approaches me.

"heard you got locked in the elevator."

i hold my hand up to her face, "don't remind me." i laugh.

to my surprise, johnson comes strolling out of the bathroom. why is he on this floor? dismissing the thought, we all head out for lunch. i am so not coming back to work after this. i don't have to anyway because jack said so.

"where do you guys want to go?" i ask.

johnson rubs his hands together, about to answer, but i hold my finger up to shush him.

"no in-n-out. let them pick." i give him a pointed look and he pouts.

"in-n-out sounds good right now." olivia chimes in and so does blake.

johnson's eyebrows raise with hope as he looks at me. i groan. that's the economy thing we eat when johnson and i hangout.

"fine." I murmur. "we'll take my car."

"wow, you're not gonna charge us for gas money? nice little lady." blake teases me.

i smile, "i never said that, pretty boy."

*

later that night

i sit on my couch, switching through and channel surfing on the tv for something good to watch. my hands reach into the bowl of popcorn on my lap and my phone starts to ring.

my eyebrows pull together as i look at the caller id. what in the world?

"jack..." i answer, unsure.

"hey, k!" he slurs loudly through the phone, making me cringe.

"can i help you?"

"you're funny." he laughs; a drunken laugh. "are you home?"

"i may be, why?" i narrow my eyes, even though he can't see me.

"will you come over." he pleads, dragging out his words. "i miss you!" he exclaims.

"go to sleep." i demand.

"no." he refuses.

why would he be drunk right now? especially if he has work tomorrow. i never thought that jack would be the type to just drink whenever and wherever, but then again, what do i know?

"i can't sleep knowing that you hate me." he speaks into the phone.

{vote, comment, share}

i've decided that i'm going to roll into Jack and Jack's meet and greet with my basketball hoop toddler backpack and ask johnson to make a shot