Chapter 23.1: Daylight Ultimatums

My eyes flew open the next morning, the night before rushing back amidst Rosanna's gentle snoring. Emily rolled over in the bed next to mine and I blearily wondered whether it was still too early to wake up. I had barely managed to close my eyes without feeling Andrew's lips on mine, the memory springing me awake over and over again.

Emily and Rosanna had been asleep when I crept back into the room, quietly changing into my nightclothes while shoving the necklace into the deepest corner of my trunk. I slipped into bed, tossing and turning until Ella returned and retired to her own room. Given that she hadn't marched in and hauled me out of bed, I assumed that Andrew had somehow ensured James' silence.

Breakfast was quiet, with Ella clearly still exhausted from the night before. Thankfully, there were no events on the social calendar that day besides the second part of the masquerade that night. All of the ladies-in-waiting were invited, so while Ella napped, Emily and Rosanna fretted over their costumes. A pair of seamstress apprentices had appeared after lunch with a selection of masks and accessories we could borrow for the night.

Emily had all but elbowed me out of the way as she perused the heavy chest of costumes, debating between a snake mask and a fish mask to pair with her glittering green masquerade dress. I bit my tongue as she asked for Rosanna's opinion, my own being that the snake would suit her best.

Rosanna picked out a rather plain silver mask to go with the grey silk dress she'd brought for the masquerade. It was a matronly thing, especially compared with Emily's, but it was a fine dress nonetheless.

I was forced to make-do with what I had, re-using the ball gown I'd brought with me from Hargrove. When I brought it out to find a matching mask, I couldn't help but think of the royal blue dress I'd been lucky enough to wear the night before. Compared to the gown Andrew had ordered for me, my own was a pauper's dress. I selected a blue and gold mask that slanted across half of my face, tying behind my head in a bow.

"At least half your face will be attractive," Emily said archly when Rosanna had disappeared to wake Ella and commence her preparation for the ball that night.

"It seems you really are embracing your costume, you snake," I replied. The apprentices tittered uncomfortably at our words as they packed up the trunk of costumes and moved to the next debutante suite.

"How was your evening with the princess?" Emily asked, a smug grin on her face as she sat down at our shared vanity table.

"Extremely enjoyable," I replied, laying my dress and mask out on my bed. A memory of laying the royal blue gown out on Audra's table flashed back to me and once again I was reminded of Andrew's lips on mine. I hoped Emily didn't notice as I flushed scarlet from the thought.

"I'm so happy you enjoyed yourself," Emily said, "I suspect it might be your la-"

"Oh Emily, it's a disaster!" Rosanna wailed from the doorway, cutting Emily off mid-sentence.

"What's the matter?" she asked, standing from the vanity.

"They've brought the wrong shawl!" Rosanna said. Emily hurried from the room behind her and I fought from rolling my eyes. A ruined shawl, oh the horror.

Remembering Andrew's words to behave, I followed them across the suite to where Ella was pacing before her costume - tonight, a gold and bronze dress with a mask that glittered with jewels.

"It was supposed to be the clouds while she's the sun," Rosanna wailed, holding out a shawl that was not at all cloud-like. Instead, it was inky black and fringed.

"Oh dear," Emily said, inspecting it with distaste.

"I refuse to go without a shawl, I was shivering all night," Ella sniffed, crossing her arms, "Go and find me one. Libby can stay and start on my hair,"