Crossing Over (Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne x reader)

"Sir?" 

JARVIS called out to Tony but received no reply, trying to get his boss' attention through blaring music that vibrated the lab walls.  When it abruptly stopped, only then did he respond to his A.I., poking his head out from under his workstation.

"What the hell, J?"

"Sir, there's been an incident with (Y/N).  You need to return home immediately."

As Tony ran from the lab and to his waiting vehicle just outside, he felt his heart pounding so forcefully that he thought it could push through his chest at any moment.  He couldn't breathe.  He couldn't think.  His only real job in the whole world was to be your dad and protect you, and the immediate feeling of failure washed over him, growing to be almost incapacitating as he neared his home, seeing the flashing lights from the entrance to the long driveway.  He knew that if anything happened to you, he would be broken.

When the SHIELD agent met him at the car before he could even get out, he felt his heart turn cold and dark and the world around him looked gray.  His ears rang with the sound of your laughter, knowing that he might not hear it again, before the agent had said even one word. 

This wasn't an accident. This was much worse.  If SHIELD was called in, he knew it meant only one thing; HYDRA had taken you from him, and he would spend every minute of every day working to find you until you were either in his arms or until his own days were over. 

~~~

"I want my daddy!" you screamed at the top of your tiny lungs with a high pitch that stung the ears of the guard watching over you.  "Take me home right now!"

"Someone needs to shut that kid up," one of the other guards whispered to his counterpart.  "What did we do wrong to get this detail?  I hate children."

"Hey, I'm not a fan either, but this is Tony Stark's kid.  There's a pretty high price on her head, and if we screw this up, we're done." The guard looked back at you, shaking his head as he watched you stomping your feet and holding your breath for as long as you could before giving up and taking another one.  "She can't keep up like this forever."

"I have to go to the bathroom!"

The first guard rolled his eyes and pointed at the other, refusing to take you again.  "I took her last time!  You deal with it!"

"Fine," he groaned, "hold my gun.  I can't imagine I would need it against a four-year-old."  He opened the door just a small amount, peeking into the cell that had held you prisoner since you arrived several hours before.  "Listen, kid.  No funny business, alright?  I'll take you to the bathroom but you have to behave."

"Can we just go?" you whined, pushing your way past him and into the hallway.  He was walking behind you with his hand on your shoulder, keeping you from running, but there was really nowhere to go in the dark and winding halls. 

You had only walked a few feet when lights began flashing and alarms were sounding overhead, alerting the guards to something happening outside.  Stumbling with a shock that hit the building, you grabbed onto the wall and struggled to stay on your feet.  The guard reached out to take you, but when he was just close enough you raised your foot to land a firm kick to his groin, dropping him to the floor.

'You see right here, (Y/N)?  If anyone tries to touch you or do anything to try to hurt you, you aim right here and hit or kick as hard as you can, okay?  Then you run as fast as you can to somewhere safe until I can find you.'

Your dad's words were still playing in your head as you ran away, trying to maneuver through hallways that you didn't know, looking for a sign that might lead you out of the building and away from these people.  It was a complete stroke of luck that you found a door to the outside, and when you felt the cool air and dim sunlight on your face, you ran.  You sprinted as fast and as hard as you could from the building, not knowing where you were going other than away.