Chapter 13

Bill snapped his fingers, setting up the landscape for tonight's dream. He wanted to help the boy go hunting for dragons, just for fun.

Dipper couldn't suppress his grin, his consciousness arriving in the dream almost immediately. The day's happenings were forgotten, spending time with Bill being priority. And he was right there. "Hey!" the boy greeted, waving a friendly hand. "What's up?"

"Hello, kid. Ready to go hunting for dragons? We can find them and train them if you want." Bill transformed into human form and grabbed Dipper's hand, smiling.

"Dragons?" The boy's eyes lit up like wildfire. That sounds so cool. Holding Bill's hand with enthusiasm, Dipper determinedly gazed over the horizon, which had transformed into the vast landscape of mountainous lands. The storybooks he read before always led to places like these, so he wasn't surprised. But he was excited. "Where to first?"

Bill pointed in the direction of the mountain. "They live in caves," he informed and started walking.

"Are they dangerous?" Dipper asked, following by the blond's side, the warmth of their connection shared between their entangled fingers. He found himself flushing and quickly tried to push the blush away. His breathing seemed uneven, heart speeding up just a bit. They were just walking so closely.

"Sometimes. But not really. If you don't attack them then they won't attack you." Bill grinned, looking down at the boy. "But you have a big bad demon to protect you," he teased a bit, strolling along.

Dipper couldn't stop the red from showing on his cheeks, even in his dreamscape. The comment had him pressing a little closer to the former triangle. Bill would protect him. He didn't doubt it. Even if none of it was real. "B-but watching me get eaten by dragons would be entertaining for you, wouldn't it?" he taunted playfully, attempting a sly smirk. "Maybe you're just getting soft for me." The second he heard himself, he was sure his heart stopped beating. M-maybe . . . he blinked. That would explain the feelings.

"Soft? Me? Please. If I wanted to kill you it would be way slower, more painful, and bloody than just dragons . . . " Bill rolled his eye. "But I don't.I have no reason to kill you, no motive. Without a motive, it's meaningless and cruel."

The boy was quiet for a second, then replied, "If you think it's cruel than you must have some decency, at least." Dipper wasn't sure he himself had decency. Not with . . . Bill . . . being there, next to him, holding his hand, making him realize things he'd rather not. Even when arguing with him, the demon was gorgeous. What? He bit his tongue. Hard. Imaginary pain wasn't as useful as it should have been. I can't be . . . He knew he was.

"Yeah. I suppose. Decency and morals . . . maybe a little," Bill shrugged. "The problem with being a human is I get stuck with all kinds of problems and emotions. I don't even understand your species and how it has survived so long." He seemed to be complaining about humans, yet complimenting them at the same time.

"I think it's because we learn how to change," Dipper admitted, eyes widening as he spoke. "We use our emotions to guide us to a better future . . . and that helps adapt our skills. Humans — People find out parts of themselves when they're faced with different challenges and the smart ones use those parts. It's like . . . something in us tells us that we should do something different." He could feel his body heating up. He would embrace his attraction for Bill. His crush. And then he would adapt, just like the rest of humanity. It's how they survived. I-I like Bill . . . Electricity flowed inside of him again, sparking passion. For Bill.

Bill nodded, though he stayed quiet. He could clearly hear Pine Tree's thoughts. All of them. The demon was a bit overwhelmed. Those thoughts were connected to emotion, a strong one at that. He could feel it. Bill had bonded with his human over the past few weeks, and that gave him more access to Dipper's mind, thoughts, and even emtions. What am I to do? I don't know these feelings at all. Though I guess I'm glad he likes me. It means he won't be too angry when the apocalypse comes . . . Right? Bill frowned, looking down at the ground.